Wharton County Junior College
Wharton County Junior College is a two-year college based in Wharton, Texas which is home to its main campus. The college also has campuses in Richmond, Sugar Land, and Bay City.
1944 Wharton County leaders, members of a Post-War Planning Committee, conceived the idea of Wharton County Junior College. history of WCJC 1945 A County Junior College Committee was formed and citizens approved a 20-cent tax. 1946 On April 6, voters of Wharton County created the Wharton County Junior College District and elected the first Board of Trustees: F.J.L. Blasingame, Wharton; Donald M. Duson, El Campo; J. R. Peace, East Bernard; Lottie N. Mullins, Boling; Richard E. Meek, Louise; Carl Reynolds, Glen Flora; and Harold Hansen, Danevang. In September, classroom instruction began with approximately 200 students housed in five Wharton County Fairground buildings, located at the corner of Boling Highway and Alabama Road. John Milton Hodges became President of Wharton County Junior College. 1948 On June 7, Wharton County voters approved a $600,000 tax bond to acquire permanent college facilities. 1948 Friends of the college donated a 20-acre site at Boling Highway and Alabama Road for campus construction. 1954 Congressman Clark Thompson visited the campus. Playwright Horton Foote consulted with drama students on the production of The Rocking Chair. The Wharton County Junior College Foundation was formed. History of WCJC 1962 Travis M. McKenzie became President of Wharton County Junior College. 1966 Theodore Nicksick, Jr., became President of Wharton County Junior College. 1967 College officials purchased the Wharton County Fairground for campus expansion. 1968 Congressman George Bush visited the Wharton campus. 1969 Congressman Jake Pickle visited the Wharton campus 1970 On July 18, voters extended the boundaries of the Wharton County Junior College District to include the Needville Independent School District and a Needville resident was appointed to the Board of Trustees, increasing Board membership to eight. 1974 CBS Newsman Dan Rather spoke to WCJC students. 1980 WCJC began offering day classes in Richmond/Rosenberg at B. F. Terry High School. 1983 WCJC opened a Satellite Campus in Richmond. 1984 Elbert C. Hutchins became President of Wharton County Junior College. 1985 WCJC, with funds provided by the George Foundation, purchased land for a permanent campus in Richmond/Rosenberg. 1990 The Sugar Land campus opened. 1994 Frank Robert Vivelo became President of Wharton County Junior College. WCJC began offering classes at the Marine Education Center in Palacios. 1996 The LaDieu Technology Center opened on the Wharton campus. WCJC joined forces with the University of Houston and Houston Community College System to open a multi-institution teaching center at the Sugar Land CentraPlex. The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of the Sugar Land CentraPlex Building. Board of Trustees increased its size to nine members. 1999 The WCJC Bay City Technical Education Center opened at the Testengeer Building to house the college's Process Technology program. 2000 Playwright Horton Foote visited the college to speak with drama students as the Fine Arts Department presented A Year of Horton Foote. 2001 Betty A. McCrohan became President of Wharton County Junior College. The WCJC Fort Bend Technical Center (FBTC) Richmond campus opened. Fort Bend Technical Center 2002 Congressman Ron Paul visited the Wharton campus. 2005 WCJC's service area expanded to include Sugar Land and its extraterritorial jurisdiction. Congressman Tom DeLay visited the WCJC Fort Bend Technical Center. 2007 The Bay City campus opened. 2009 The Sugar Land campus relocated to a new building at the University of Houston System at Sugar Land. 2010 Southern Association Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Reaffirms Wharton County Junior College
The mission of the WCJC Libraries program serves to provide a variety of facilities, services, and comprehensive learning resources which support and expand the instructional program of Wharton County Junior College.ï¿½ The WCJC Libraries program integrates active learning skills and informative literacy components into the teaching/learning process taking place in the classroom and laboratory.ï¿½ Through the provision of professional staff, print and non-print materials, digital technologies, physical facilities, and supportive equipment, the WCJC Libraries program provides the delivery of instructional services to the entire college system. ï¿½In keeping with the role and scope of the institution, the WCJC Libraries program also offers its services and its facilities for community use.