RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Webb Institute

Webb Institute is a private undergraduate engineering college in Glen Cove, New York on Long Island. Each graduate of Webb Institute earns a Bachelor of Science degree in naval architecture and marine engineering.

Location

Address
298 Crescent Beach Rd
City
Glen Cove
State
NY

Contact Information

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
82
In State Tuition Fees
42750
Out State Tuition Fees
42750
SAT Score
1490
Grade Point Average(GPA)
4.0
Male Female Ratio
87:13
Acceptance Rate
32%
Student Faculty Ratio
7:01

Additional Information

College Type
Private
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
To prepare graduates for prominent careers by: - Providing a rigorous education in the principles of engineering and a broad-based knowledge of the fundamentals of naval architecture and marine engineering; - Developing skills that will enable graduates to become leaders in and make significant contributions to their chosen profession and to the social environment in which it functions; - Instilling in our graduates the highest ethical standards and sense of professionalism; Cultivating curiosity in the arts, sciences, and humanities, and providing the background and encouragement necessary to support life-long learning.
Mascot
Webbies
Colors
Navy Grey And Gold
Conference
Sun Conf.

College History

History

Webb Institute of Naval Architecture was founded in 1889 by industrialist and philanthropist William Henry Webb, who had established his career as a preeminent shipbuilder in the 19th century. He recognized the increasing role of science and engineering in the field of ship design, which had long been seen as more of an art form. Webb felt that the ship designers of the future would need to be skilled in structural and mechanical engineering, and other scientific disciplines. The institute graduated its first class in 1893, and continues to educate students in naval architecture and marine engineering. Founding and early history Webb's Academy and Home for Shipbuilders, Bronx, New York City (c. 1899) On April 2, 1889, the state of New York incorporated Webb's Academy and Home for Shipbulders as a non-profit institution. Webb had provided the Academy with an endowment presumed to be sufficient to allow the institution to be self-supporting in perpetuity. It was intended to serve not only as an educational institution for future naval architects, but also as a retirement home for aged shipbuilders. Webb commissioned New York architect Arthur P. Jennings to design a building for the institution to be built on 14 acres (5.7 ha) of land on a bluff overlooking the Harlem and Hudson rivers in the Bronx. Construction commenced in 1890 and was completed in 1893. The building was designed in the Romanesque style and was built of New York brownstone. It was intended to be "a romantic version of a medieval castle", with turrets, fanciful carving, and other flourishes. This facility was used for 50 years. During World War II, the institute was closely associated with the U.S. Navy as a training center for naval officers. Relocation and expansion Stevenson Taylor Hall, Webb Institute, Glen Cove, New York (c. 2001) By 1945, the Board of Trustees determined that the Bronx campus was no longer suitable and relocation was necessary. The Institute needed new laboratory facilities unavailable at the Bronx facility and they were able to sell the Bronx facility for a considerable sum. The Institute chose to acquire The Braes, the former country estate of Herbert L. Pratt, in Glen Cove on the North Shore of Long Island. Designed by James Brite and constructed between 1912 and 1914, the main house had a distinct H-shaped layout and Jacobean, Tudor, and Renaissance-influenced design elements that made it distinct among Long Island estates of the era. It was the largest of the six Pratt estates in Glen Cove. The estate was purchased in November 1945 and conversion work began in 1946. In April 1947, classes began at the new campus in Glen Cove. The main building had been renovated to include classrooms, dormitories, and offices. A model basin and gymnasium were constructed elsewhere on the campus. The main building was renamed Stevenson Taylor Hall in honor of the charter member and President of the Board of Trustees (1900�1926) of the institute. Through the conversion, the ground floor of Stevenson Taylor Hall retained much of the original 1915-era decor. A modern library and auditorium were added to the campus in 1971. Webb admitted women as students in 1974. The Webb Institute was used for the exterior shots of Wayne Manor in the 1995 film Batman Forever, and was featured in the 1998 film Great Expectations.

College Specialty

Specialty

To prepare graduates for prominent careers by: Providing a rigorous education in the principles of engineering and a broad-based knowledge of the fundamentals of naval architecture and marine engineering; Developing skills that will enable graduates to become leaders in and make significant contributions to their chosen profession and to the social environment in which it functions; Instilling in our graduates the highest ethical standards and sense of professionalism; Cultivating curiosity in the arts, sciences, and humanities, and providing the background and encouragement necessary to support life-long learning. VISION STATEMENT: To be internationally recognized as a leading undergraduate educational institution in naval architecture and marine engineering and an asset to the nation by: Providing exceptional young men and women with a contemporary and comprehensive undergraduate education focused on naval architecture and marine engineering, thereby preparing them for prominent careers in the marine industry or other fields of endeavor. Providing valued technical expertise and educational opportunities to the marine industry. Perpetuating the legacy of William H. Webb

Campus

Campus

Suburban, 26 acres (11�ha)

X
X
X
X