Valdosta State University
Valdosta State University, also referred to as VSU, or Valdosta State, is an American public university and is one of the three regional universities in the University System of Georgia.
South Georgia State Normal College (1913ï¿½1922) The school that would become Valdosta State University was founded in 1906. Colonel W.S. West led the legislation through the Georgia Senate, and C.R. Ashley and E.J. McRee pushed it through the House. However, no funds were appropriated for it until 1911 when the state allocated $25,000. The city of Valdosta raised $50,000, and Col. West gave the property that is now the main part of campus to the state for use by the new institution. The president chosen was Richard Holmes Powell. His travels in the American southwest led him to choose the Spanish Mission style of architecture for the institution's buildings. The school opened as South Georgia State Normal College (SGSNC) in January 1913, with three college freshmen and 15 sub freshmen. The early students were required to wear a school uniform and paid $10 per year for tuition and $12 per month for food and board. Most came to be teachers and studied subjects from literature to physics to agriculture. In 1922, the school became a four-year college and the legislature changed the name to Georgia State Women's College (GSWC). Georgia State Woman's College (1922ï¿½1950) President Powell headed the GSWC until 1933 when he was made dean of the Coordinate College in Athens. Dr. Jere M. Pound, President of the Georgia Teachers College, was sent to Valdosta. However, his tenure at GSWC lasted less than a year before he had to go on sick leave. He died a year later in 1935. Dr. Frank Robertson Reade assumed the job of acting president in 1934 and on Dr. Pound's death became president. During his tenure, New Deal programs enabled the school to expand physically from three to seven buildings. The Powell Library, dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt, was a centerpiece of this construction. During World War II, GSWC emphasized politics and science in its curriculum and in 1943, the B.S. degree was added. Moody Airfield, located nine miles from campus, provided the male participants for many patriotic parties. Valdosta State College (1950ï¿½1993) Dr. Reade served until 1948, he was followed by Dr. Ralph Thaxton, who came from University of Georgia, where he had served as professor, Dean, Director of Admissions, and Registrar. Soon after Dr. Thaxton began his service, the Board of Regents, acting on the advice of a committee which had examined the whole University of Georgia System, declared that in 1950 GSWC was to become a co-educational - Valdosta State College (VSC). Programs in premedical, predentistry, and prepharmacy were added, and the sciences became more prominent. Business became a popular major after 1950. By 1956 men on campus outnumbered the women. Greek organizations were formed, with fraternities leading the way, and interï¿½collegiate athletics became a part of campus life when the Rebels, an all-male basketball team, was formed. In 1953 VSC acquired the property of the former Emory Jr. College, a private all male school that operated from 1928 to 1953, less than a mile away, and the facilities became the north campus which now house the College of Business and Air Force ROTC. Under Dr. Thaxton's tenure, the College integrated in 1963. Over the next decade the college added African-American students, faculty and administrators. Dr. Thaxton retired in 1966, and Dr. S. Walter Martin, former president of Emory University and Vice Chancellor of the University System of Georgia, assumed the presidency. He presided over a time of physical expansion of the school, including the construction of such buildings as the Odum Library, the Education Center, The Fine Arts Building, the College Union, a Science Administration Building and six dormitories. The student body grew, the School of Nursing was established, and many programs expanded, including those in graduate education. Presidents of Valdosta State Richard Holmes Powell 1913ï¿½1933 Jere Madison Pound 1933ï¿½1935 Frank Robertson Reade 1935ï¿½1948 James Ralph Thaxton 1948ï¿½1966 Sidney Walter Martin 1966ï¿½1978 Hugh Coleman Bailey 1978ï¿½2001 Ronald M. Zaccari 2002ï¿½2008 Patrick J. Schloss 2008ï¿½2011 William J. McKinney 2012ï¿½current Valdosta State University (1993ï¿½Present) When Dr. Martin retired in 1978, Dr. Hugh Coleman Bailey assumed the post. Under Dr. Bailey, the school had doubled in size from 4,500 to 9,000 students. From 1978 to 1993, numerous programs were added and existing courses upgraded, resulting in the early 1980s in an endeavor to make VSC a university. Throughout the 1980s the college established off-campus sites and course offerings and began receiving state and federal grant funds to develop curriculum and programs. In 1993, all the hard work and planning paid off. Valdosta State College became Valdosta State University (VSU), the second regional university in the University System of Georgia. In fall 1998, Valdosta State University adopted the semester system, along with other units of the University System of Georgia. Under Bailey's leadership VSU continued to grow with the addition of the 150,000-square-foot (14,000 m2) University Center in the 1995 and a new science building in 2001. In January 2002, Dr. Ronald M. Zaccari assumed the post and during his time in office VSU updated its infrastructure to accommodate student population growth, including the construction of four new dormitories and two parking decks. Dr. Patrick J. Schloss became the President of VSU in 2008 and was in office during the opening of a new Student Health Center, Georgia Residence Hall, and Student Union. Dr. William J. McKinney was announced as the new VSU president in 2012.
The mission of the Honors College at Valdosta State University is to provide for the stimulation of academically motivated students so that they achieve their full academic potential, while at the same time providing recognition for such students' endeavors. The Honors College encourages meaningful connections between disciplines, innovative and unusual approaches to subject matter, and reliance upon experiential learning and global awareness that are fully integrated into the course content and lead to opportunities for strong undergraduate research and creative endeavors. The Honors College also provides extra-curricular opportunities for students to broaden themselves through lectures, service opportunities, and other forms of activity that relate to their education. Finally, the mission of the Honors College is to attract the best students to Valdosta State, and to assist in retaining those students through all four years of their undergraduate experience. In this way Honors College students will make a visible and positive impact on the entire university community, thereby enriching the diversity of the Valdosta State University community as a whole.
Briny Baird, American professional golfer who has played on the PGA Tour and Nationwide Tour Dusty Bonner, two time Harlon Hill Trophy winner and quarterback in the National Football League (NFL). Jason Bulger, an American professional baseball pitcher for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball. Richard Collier, former offensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League (NFL) Larry Dean, Linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League (NFL) Antonio Edwards, ex-NFL defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons and others of the National Football League (NFL) Edmund Kugbila, Offensive lineman for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL) Maurice Leggett, DB for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL) Ray Lloyd, professional wrestler best known as "Glacier" in WCW. Alvoid Mays, former NFL player who played some at VSU. Ryan Schraeder, Offensive lineman for the Atlanta Falcons of the National Football League (NFL) Jessie Tuggle, former professional American football linebacker who played for the Atlanta Falcons his entire career from 1987 to 2000. Artie Ulmer, former NFL linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons and others of the National Football League (NFL)
168 Acres (0.68ï¿½Km2)