University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
The University of Wisconsinï¿½Milwaukee is a public urban research university located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in the United States. It is the largest university in the Milwaukee metropolitan area and a member of the University of Wisconsin System.
In 1885, the Wisconsin State Normal School opened for classes at 18th and Wells in downtown Milwaukee. Over the next 42 years, the Milwaukee state normal school saw seven different presidents, the addition of music and liberal arts programs and rapid growth from an initial enrollment of 76. In 1919, the School moved from downtown to the current location near the lakefront when a new building, now Mitchell Hall, was completed. In 1927, the Milwaukee normal school changed its name to Wisconsin State Teachers College-Milwaukee in an effort by the State Normal School Regents to refocus on the instruction of teachers. The college became one of the nation's top teacher's training colleges in the 1940s. In 1951, the Legislature empowered all state colleges to offer liberal arts programs. The Milwaukee State Teachers College subsequently became Wisconsin State Collegeï¿½Milwaukee, but was still casually referred to as "Milwaukee State," as it had been throughout its previous incarnations; also retaining the green and white school colors and Green Gulls mascot. University of Wisconsinï¿½Milwaukee University of Wisconsinï¿½Milwaukee was founded with the belief that Milwaukee needed a great public university to become a great city. In 1955, the Wisconsin state legislature passed a bill to create a large public university that offered graduate programs in Wisconsin's largest city. In 1956, Wisconsin State College-Milwaukee merged with the University of Wisconsinï¿½Extension's Milwaukee division (a graduate branch of the University of Wisconsinï¿½Madison) to form the University of Wisconsinï¿½Milwaukee. The new university consisted of the WSC campus near the lakefront and the University of Wisconsin extension building downtown Milwaukee. The first commencement of the new University of Wisconsinï¿½Milwaukee was held on June 16, 1957. On June 13, 1958, Socialist mayor Frank P. Zeidler was the first person to receive an honorary doctorate from the university. In 1964, the campus of the neighboring private women's institution, Milwaukee-Downer College, was purchased by the state to expand the UWM campus; Milwaukee-Downer College had previously merged with Lawrence College to form the present Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin. The university had already purchased the former campuses and buildings of the former Milwaukee-Downer Seminary and Milwaukee University School along Hartford Avenue. From 1956ï¿½1971, UWï¿½Milwaukee, UWï¿½Madison, and the latter's affiliated 10 freshman-sophomore centers and state-wide extensions (University of Wisconsinï¿½Extension) were part of the original University of Wisconsin System. In 1971, the state legislature merged this entity with the Wisconsin State Universities to form a united University of Wisconsin System under a single board of regents. In 1988, the UW System designated eight Centers of Excellence at UWM. In 1994, UWM was designated as a Research II University (now a Doctoral/Research University-Extensive) by the Carnegie Foundation. Merrill Hall UWM has expanded to 12 schools and colleges and now offers 84 undergraduate programs and 48 graduate programs, including 22 doctoral degree programs, with a university-wide focus on academic research, teaching and community service. In 2005, UWï¿½Milwaukee surpassed UWï¿½Madison in the number of Wisconsin resident students and became the university with the largest enrollment of Wisconsin residents. In 2006, UWï¿½Milwaukee was ranked as the ninth best "Saviors of Our Cities" by the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE), because of its strong positive contribution of careful strategic planning and thoughtful use of resources that have dramatically strengthened the economy and quality of life of Milwaukee, and was voted by the public as one of the top ten "Gems of Milwaukee" . In 2008 and 2009, the school saw the establishments of the School of Public Health and the School of Freshwater Sciences. In 2010, UWï¿½Milwaukee purchased its neighboring Columbia St. Mary's Hospital complex. In the early 2011, UW-Milwaukee closed the land purchase for its Innovation Park in Wauwatosa.
The mission of this system is to develop human resources, to discover and disseminate knowledge, to extend knowledge and its application beyond the boundaries of its campuses, and to serve and stimulate society by developing in students heightened intellectual, cultural, and humane sensitivities; scientific, professional, and technological expertise; and a sense of purpose. Inherent in this mission are methods of instruction, research, extended education, and public service designed to educate people and improve the human condition. Basic to every purpose of the system is the search for truth.
Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft Corporation Golda Meir, the fourth Prime Minister of Israel Luis E. Arreaga, United States Ambassador to Iceland Alberto Fujimori, the 90th President of Peru Larry N. Vanderhoef, chancellor of University of California, Davis Alan Kulwicki, NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame Frank Caliendo, an American comedian and impressionist Jim Rygiel, an Oscar winner of digital effects for the The Lord of the Rings movies
Urban, 104 Acres (42ï¿½Ha)