RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

University of West Georgia

The University of West Georgia is a comprehensive doctoral-granting university in Carrollton, Georgia, approximately 45 miles west of Atlanta, Georgia.

Tag

Location

Address
1601 Maple St
City
Carrollton
State
GA
Zip/Post Code
30118

Contact Information

Phone
Fax
Website
Financial Aid Website

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
9959
Total Graduate enrollment
1970
In State Tuition Fees
4974
Out State Tuition Fees
17556
ACT Score
20
SAT Score
1431
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.11
Male Female Ratio
37:63
Acceptance Rate
48%
Student Faculty Ratio
19:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Wolfie
Colors
Blue Red
Conference
Gulf South

College History

History

In 1933 the school's name (Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School) was changed to West Georgia College and it became a two-year institution. West Georgia became a four-year institution in 1957. James E. Boyd became the President of West Georgia College in 1961 after William H. Row (who had held the position a mere nine months) died due to a heart attack. Boyd is most known for peacefully integrating the campus (without waiting for a court order) in 1963 by inviting a young black woman, Lillian Williams, to attend the college; she would eventually earn two degrees in education and earn the college's highest honor, the Founder�s Award, in 1985. In May 1964, Boyd invited Robert F. Kennedy to the dedication of the campus chapel as the Kennedy Chapel, as U.S. President John F. Kennedy's death had occurred in November 1963. Robert would promote the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which was being debated in the United States Senate. Boyd dramatically expanded the college during his tenure in both headcount and academic diversity. In sheer numbers, there were 1089 students on his arrival and 5503 students on his departure. In 1959, there were two degrees and five programs available; in 1969-70 there were seven degrees and 45 programs. There were 94 graduate students in 1961 and 741 in 1969, due to the first master's programs being offered in 1967. In 1969 alone, 80 new faculty members were hired, a number larger than the total number of faculty members a decade prior. Several new buildings, including but not limited to nine residence halls and five academic buildings, were constructed. Policy changes occurred as well: in 1966, the curfew for junior and senior women was abolished, and fraternities and sororities were allowed on campus. In 1970, Boyd was named Georgia's first vice chancellor for academic development, effective once his successor was found, which occurred in 1971; it was Emory graduate Ward Pafford.

College Specialty

Specialty

The University of West Georgia seeks to achieve preeminence in providing educational excellence in a personal environment through an intellectually stimulating and supportive community for its students, faculty, and staff.

Alumni

Alumni

Rick Camp, Atlanta Braves pitcher 1976-1985 Shea Cowart - 2000 Paralympics Gold Medalist (100, 200) Barry Evans, San Diego Padres pitcher ('78-'81), New York Yankees ('82) Brandon Jamison, Atlanta Falcons LB (2006), Carolina Panthers LB (2007�present) Roger Kaiser, Head Basketball Coach, 1970-1990, NAIA National Title (1974), Athletics Director Foots Walker, '74, former NBA player with Cleveland Cavaliers. Played on West Georgia National Championship team. Odell Willis, Calgary Stampeders DL (2009), Winnipeg Blue Bombers LB (2009�present)

Campus

Campus

Rural 644 Acres (2.61�Km2)

X
X
X
X