University of the Ozarks
University of the Ozarks is a private, four-year comprehensive university located in Clarksville, Arkansas. The universityï¿½s 30-acre, tree-shaded campus sits atop College Hill, about two blocks north of downtown Clarksville.
University of the Ozarks traces its roots back to 1834, making it the oldest university in Arkansas and one of the oldest institutions of higher education west of the Mississippi River. It was founded by Cumberland Presbyterians in 1834 as Cane Hill College in Cane Hill, Arkansas in Washington County. Its successor, Arkansas Cumberland College, opened in Clarksville in September 1891. The name was changed to College of the Ozarks in 1920. The university alma mater was written in 1928 by Rev. John W. Laird, pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Rochester, New York. During the years of World War II, the enrollment decreased to the point that the Board of Trustees decided to find a tenant for the facilities. From January 1944 through May 1945, the United States Navy leased the full campus for operating a Primary School in their Electronics Training Program. An estimated total of 3,000 Navy and Marine servicemen were trained in the three-month course. In this period, classes for the 150 College of the Ozarks students were held off-campus at the First Presbyterian Church; female students were mainly housed in the church's adjoining Manse. In 1987, the name was changed to University of the Ozarks. The university enrollment has increased signfinificantly since the mid-1990s, and the number of full-time faculty has been increased from 32 to 48. During the past decade, the university's supporters helped increase the school's endowment by 284 percent, contributing more than $100 million for academic programs, scholarships, faculty and staff benefits, and facilities. In 1875, the university became the first institution of higher education to admit women. In 1946, the university housed the state's first pharmacy school. In 1959, the university became the first predominately white university in the state to graduate an African-American. In 1998, U of O received the largest single monetary donation ever made to a private university in Arkansas - $39.5 million from the Walton Family Charitable Support Foundation
True to our Christian heritage, we prepare those who seek to live life fully, those who seek the richness of life provided by study of the liberal arts and the quality of life provided by professional preparation. We provide a uniquely supportive, academically sophisticated and challenging environment on a beautiful campus adjacent to the Ozark Mountains. Our first priority is the education of students who come to us from diverse religious, cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds.