University of Tennessee at Martin
The University of Tennessee at Martin, located in Martin, Tennessee in the United States, is one of the five campuses of the University of Tennessee system.
Although UT-Martin dates from 1927, it is not the first educational institution to use the current site. In 1900, Ada Gardner Brooks donated a site on what was then the outskirts of Martin to the Tennessee Baptist Convention for the purposes of opening a school. The school opened as the Hall-Moody Institute, named for two locally prominent Baptist ministers. It originally offered 13 years of study, from elementary grades to the equivalent of the first years of collegiate work. The institute changed its name to Hall-Moody Normal School in 1917, as teacher training became its primary focus. Five years later, Hall-Moody changed its name again to Hall-Moody Junior College. Due to declining enrollment and financial difficulties in the mid-1920s, Hall-Moody Junior College was in danger of closing. In 1927, the Tennessee Baptist Convention made the decision to consolidate Hall-Moody with a similar institution, Union University, in nearby Jackson. Upon hearing of the impending closure of the Hall-Moody campus, area civic and political leaders asked the state of Tennessee to step in and take over the former Hall-Moody facilities under the auspices of the University of Tennessee. University of Tennessee president Harcourt Morgan agreed to accept the proposition on the condition that the Martin community would acquire the property as well as space for expansion. The City of Martin and Weakley County sold bonds to purchase the campus and some surrounding land. On February 10, 1927, Senate Bill Number 301 established the University of Tennessee Junior College in Martin. On March 29, it was officially approved by Governor Austin Peay. Hall-Moody closed for the last time on June 1, and the new UT Junior College began operations on September 2 with 120 students The school nearly closed twice during its first quarter-century, first during the hard times of the Great Depression and again when nearly all male students enlisted in World War II. However, an influx of returning servicemen ushered in rapid growth both in enrollment and educational offerings. In 1951, with the addition of four-year fields of study leading to a bachelor's degree, it was redesignated the University of Tennessee Martin Branch. In 1961, it was the first campus in the University of Tennessee system to begin racial desegregation of undergraduates. (Graduate schools at other campuses had begun desegregation in 1952.) Until 1967, it was treated as an offsite department of the main campus in Knoxville. As such, its presiding officer was known first as an executive officer (1927-1951), then a dean (1951-1967). In 1967, it was granted equal status with the main campus in Knoxville under its current name, and its presiding officer was granted the title of chancellor. The school grew greatly from the post-World War II era, largely under the influence of the G. I. Bill of Rights, through the 1960s under the leadership of Paul Meek, who led the school from 1934 to 1967. It was noted that the school had almost as many entering freshmen in 1969 as it had overall students in 1961. Current enrollment is approximately 8,100.
The primary purpose of the University of Tennessee at Martin is to provide a quality undergraduate education in a traditional collegiate atmosphere characterized at all levels by close collaboration among students, faculty and staff. In addition, the university is dedicated to meeting lifelong educational needs by providing graduate programs, distance-learning opportunities and other creative endeavors. Furthermore, the university is committed to advancing the regional and global community through scholarly activities, research and public service.
Roy Herron ('75) Chairman for Tennessee Democratic Party and former State Senator Elizabeth Donald (ï¿½97) journalist and horror novelist Lin Dunn ('69) head coach of the 2012 WNBA Champions Indiana Fever Leonard Hamilton (ï¿½71) Florida State Seminoles head basketball coach Lester Hudson ('09) Former Memphis Grizzlies point guard Ed Jones ('32) Commissioner of Agriculture of Tennessee 1949-1953 and a U.S. Representative from Tennessee from 1969 to 1989 Van Jones ('90) attorney and internationally recognized civil and human rights advocate Jerry Reese ('85) general manager of the 2007 World Champion New York Giants William C. Rhodes (ï¿½87) president and CEO of AutoZone, Inc. Pat Head Summitt (ï¿½74) Tennessee Lady Vols head basketball coach, all-time leader for games won among NCAA Division I basketball coaches (men's or women's). The court in the basketball arena and a street on campus are named for Summitt. Fred Thomas (ï¿½96) Former New Orleans Saints cornerback. Ron Roberts ('90) Southeastern Louisiana University head football coach.
Rural, 250 Acres