University of Scranton
The University of Scranton is a private, co-educational Catholic and Jesuit university, located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States, in the northeast region of the state.
The University of Scranton was founded as Saint Thomas College by Most Reverend William G. Oï¿½Hara, D.D., the first Bishop of Scranton, who had always hoped to provide an opportunity for higher education in the Lackawanna Valley. In August 1888, with few resources at hand, he blessed a single block of granite as a cornerstone for his new college, which would admit its first students four years later. The cornerstone of Old Main is preserved in the wall of St. Thomas Hall. The college was staffed by diocesan priests and seminarians until 1896 and then, for one year, by the Xaverian Brothers. From 1897 until 1942 the school, which was renamed The University of Scranton in 1938, was administered for the Diocese by the Christian Brothers. In the late summer of 1942, at the invitation of Most Reverend William Hafey, D.D., 19 Jesuits, led by Rev. Coleman Nevils, S.J., the newly appointed president, arrived on campus to administer the University. The Jesuits restructured and strengthened Scrantonï¿½s traditional and pre-professional programs with an emphasis on the liberal arts, which are the foundation for every program at a Jesuit university. This emphasis is intended to give Scranton students an appreciation for all disciplines as they develop specific subject knowledge. The University has flourished under the Jesuits, growing from a primarily commuter school with fewer than 1,000 students to a broadly regional, comprehensive university with a total enrollment of more than 6,000 students in undergraduate, graduate and nontraditional programs. In these early years of the 21st century, the University is building on its historical and educational heritage guided by the 2005-2010 Strategic Plan, entitled ï¿½Pride, Passion, Promise: Shaping Our Jesuit Tradition.ï¿½ In May 2010, the Board of Trustees approved the Universityï¿½s 2010-2015 Strategic Plan, ï¿½Go and Set the World on Fire.ï¿½ The broadly integrated plan consists of three themes that have their roots in our Ignatian identity: Cura Personalis (treating others, especially students, as individuals, just as God treats us), Magis (a relentless desire for excellence grounded in gratitude) and Rei Solicitudo (a commitment to careful stewardship of the resources entrusted to our care). The University remains committed to enriching the quality and variety of its academic offerings. In addition, it continues to invest in its physical plant, opening a 118,000-square-foot campus center and 386-bed sophomore residence hall in 2008. This fall, Scranton welcomes two more facilities to the cityï¿½s skyline: the first phase of the Loyola Science Center and an apartment and fitness complex on the 900 block of Mulberry Street. The 200,000-square-foot Loyola Science Center, which was constructed to meet silver Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, is home to 22 class and seminar rooms, 34 laboratories and a multistory atrium. The apartment and fitness complex stands directly across the street from the Patrick and Margaret DeNaples Center and provides fitness space, a dining area and apartment-style units to accommodate approximately 400 juniors and seniors. On Dec. 15, 2010, the University announced the unanimous selection of Rev. Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., as the Universityï¿½s 25th president, succeeding Rev. Scott R. Pilarz, S.J. Father Quinn began his service as president in July 2011.
The University of Scranton is a Catholic and Jesuit university animated by the spiritual vision and the tradition of excellence characteristic of the Society of Jesus and those who share its way of proceeding. The University is a community dedicated to the freedom of inquiry and personal development fundamental to the growth in wisdom and integrity of all who share its life.
James Donald Walsh - Diplomat and foreign service officer, United States Ambassador to Argentina 2000-2003 Walter Bobbie - Tony winning Broadway Director Chicago, and actor Grease'. Patrick J. Boland - U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania and Majority Whip Christopher F. Burne - U.S. Air Force Brigadier General John D. Butzner, Jr. - former United States federal judge - United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit Nestor Chylak - Baseball Hall of Famer and American League umpire from 1954ï¿½1978 Christopher "Kip" Condron - former president and CEO of AXA Equitable Timothy Edward Connolly - Rear Tire Changer for NASCAR driver Tony Stewart Lt. Gen. Kevin C. Kiley, M.D. - Former Surgeon General of the United States Army Lt. Gen. John J. Cusick - Former Quartermaster General of the United States Army Kathleen Kane (B.S. 1988) - Lackawanna County Assistant District Attorney (1995-2007), Pennsylvania Attorney General since 2013 Sean Kearney - Former head coach of men's basketball at College of the Holy Cross Jack Keeney (1947) - Longest serving federal prosecutor in U.S. history. Ralph Lomma - Inventor of mini-golf, original designers of windmills, castles, churches Thom Loverro - Sports journalist, author, and radio personality Malachy E. Mannion - United States Magistrate Judge, United States District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania Kalanithi Maran - founder and Chairman of Sun Network, one of India's largest media houses, majority owner of SpiceJet Airways Private Limited Jason Miller - late film actor; Academy Award nominee and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright (That Championship Season), best known for playing Father Damien in The Exorcist Sen. Bob Smith - Democratic New Jersey State Senator representing NJ's 17th Legislative District Susan Swain - Co-CEO of C-SPAN Patrick Barnitt - stage and film actor (Star Trek: First Contact); jazz singer Michael Soskil Sr. - Recipient of the 2012 Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching (PAEMST) Kalanithi Maran - Chairman and Managing Director of Sun Group, which is one of the most profitable television network in Asia. and Spice Jet
Urban, 58 Acres (23.5ï¿½Ha)