University of North Georgia
The University of North Georgia (UNG) is an educational institution that was established by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents on January 8, 2013, as a result of the consolidation of North Georgia College & State University and Gainesville State College.
The University of North Georgia was formed when the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) approved the consolidation of North Georgia College & State University and Gainesville State College in December 2012. Of the two institutions involved in the consolidation, North Georgia College & State University is the oldest, having been chartered in 1873, while Gainesville State College was established in 1964. North Georgia College and State University Built in 1879 at the former site of the Dahlonega Mint, the Price Memorial Hall Building is the oldest surviving building on UNG's campus. David W. Lewis was the first president of UNG (1873-1885) North Georgia College & State University was first established as North Georgia Agricultural College in January 1873. The creation of the institution came about as the result of efforts by U.S. Congressman and Georgia Representative William P. Price. It was Price's idea to use the land script of the Morrill Land-Grant Acts to transform the old Dahlonega Mint into a college. Along with the Morrill Land-Grant Acts came the stipulation that students in land-grant colleges take military training. This marked the beginning of UNG's identity as "the military college of Georgia." In the college's first year there was an enrollment of 98 men and 78 women, making it the first co-educational college in Georgia. The ROTC was created as a result of the National Defense Act of 1916. The steady growth of North Georgia College came to a halt in the 1930s as the Great Depression devastated much of the rural South. In 1933 the economic affliction brought about by the Great Depression forced the State of Georgia to reduce North Georgia College to a junior college. Despite this reduction the ROTC program remained intact. North Georgia College remained a junior college throughout the Great Depression and World War II. In 1946 the Georgia Board of Regents decided to reorganize the college into a four-year school, thus giving it the capacity to grant degrees. Three years later Merritt Eldred Hoag became the president of the college. His presidency spanned twenty-one years and oversaw several substantial expansions to the institution. The construction of Lewis Hall, an additional wing to Gaillard Hall, and the four story Hoag Student Center, constructed in 1951, 1961, and 1969 respectively, enabled the college to house more than twice as many students. It was also during the Hoag administration, in 1967, that the college became racially integrated. The next great period of growth for the college occurred under the presidency of John H. Owen, from 1970 to 1992. His twenty-two year presidency, which was longer than any other President at the school, was defined by substantial increases in student enrollment, spurred by a heightening of academic standards and an increase in the caliber of the faculty. In the beginning of Owen's term he worked to develop an alumni association for the school. The alumni association provided a huge financial boost to the North Georgia College Foundation, which provided funds for student scholarships. At the end of Owen's presidency NGC offered roughly three hundred scholarships; there were none at the beginning of his presidency. Gainesville State College UNG's Cumming campus was opened in Fall 2012 Gainesville State College was established as Gainesville Junior College in Gainesville, Georgia in March 1964, but did not start classes until 1966. The college had to continually expand its educational facilities in the late 1960s and early 1970s as more students than originally forecast registered for classes. In 1987, the school changed its name to Gainesville College. As the college continued to grow it opened a satellite campus in Watkinsville, Georgia in 2003. Soon after, it began offerings of more associates' degrees. In October 2005 the Georgia Board of Regents approved a change in the school's mission and name. The school became known as Gainesville State College and simultaneously became a "state college", meaning that the institution could offer a limited selection of bachelor's degrees, such as the Bachelor of Science in Applied Environmental Spatial Analysis. In partnership with NGCSU, Gainesville State College opened an additional satellite campus in Cumming, Georgia in the fall of 2012
The University of North Georgia, a regional multi-campus institution and premier senior military college, provides a culture of academic excellence in a student-focused environment that includes quality education, service, inquiry and creativity. This is accomplished through broad access to comprehensive academic and co-curricular programs that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. The University of North Georgia is a University System of Georgia leadership institution and is The Military College of Georgia.
Suburban; 794+ Acres