University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
The University of Mary Hardinï¿½Baylor (UMHB) is a Christian co-educational institution of higher learning located in Belton, Texas, United States. UMHB was founded by the Republic of Texas in 1845 as "Baylor Female College" making it the oldest continuously operating college in the state, it has grown to approximately 2,700 students and awards degrees at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctorate levels. It is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.[
UMHB's history dates to the time before Texas became a U.S. state. Its original charter was granted by the Republic of Texas (prior to statehood) in 1845 as the female department of Baylor University. Classes began in May, 1846, in a small wooden building on a hillside at Independence in Washington County. The first class consisted of twenty-four male and female students While it was a coeducational institution, the classes were still separated by gender. Baylor Collegeï¿½s coeducation lasted only until 1851 when it was divided into a Female Department and a Male Department. Each began occupying separate buildings approximately a mile apart at the Independence campus. The changing demography of Texas and relocation of the local railroad made it increasingly difficult for college students to get transportation to Independence. Both colleges were relocated in 1886 to their permanent homes in Central Texas: the women's division relocated to Belton where operations continued as Baylor Female College; the men's division moved to Waco, merged with coeducational Waco University, and continued as Baylor University. The Mayborn Campus Center is named for its benefactor, the late Temple Daily Telegram publisher, Frank W. Mayborn The Cottage Home System, the first work-study program for women in a college west of the Mississippi, was instituted on the new Belton campus in 1893 by Elli Moore Townsend, wife of the serving president. Its aim was to provide more affordable housing for women students who could not meet the expense of dormitories. The women students earned financial assistance by growing vegetables, raising livestock, and hand making crafts and quality clothing items. Initially the cottages were modest wood frame residences. In 1905, a permanent residence hall for the Cottage Home System was built by the residents themselves. Beginning in 1922, a few male students, known as "Campus Boys," were allowed to attend classes and work on campus through their junior year, at which time they transferred to Baylor University or another college for their senior year and graduation. "Campus Boys" did work that was deemed unsuitable for the young ladies. They maintained the grounds, unloaded coal from rail cars, milked cows, fed hogs, served as night watchmen, and unstopped drains. They lived on the second floor of a carpenter shop in quarters dubbed "The Shack." In 1925, Baylor Female College was renamed Baylor College for Women. A year later in 1926, it was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Universities (now SACS), being the first Texas Baptist college to do so. Then in 1927, it received accreditation from the American Association of Colleges. In 1925, enrollment peaked at 2,372 which forced the college to start a costly building project. That, in addition to a devastating campus fire in 1929, required immediate construction of even more buildings and, with the help of the Great Depression, brought the college to the edge of bankruptcy. It was saved by a generous gift from Mary and John G. Hardin. In gratitude, the college changed its name to Mary Hardinï¿½Baylor College in 1934. In 1968, the Scott & White College of Nursing, named for the Scott & White Memorial Hospital located in nearby Temple, became a part of Mary Hardinï¿½Baylor College. Mary Hardinï¿½Baylor College once again became fully co-educational in 1971. August of that year saw the first male graduates including three males receiving bachelor degrees. With the inauguration in 1978 of its first graduate program, a Master of Education, the college achieved status as a university with five schools: Arts and Sciences, Creative Arts, Business, Education, and Nursing. It was renamed the University of Mary Hardinï¿½Baylor.
The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor prepares students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society. Academic excellence, personal attention, broad-based scholarship and a commitment to a Baptist vision for education distinguish our Christ-centered learning community.
Margaret "Maggie" Lea Houston, eldest daughter of Republic of Texas President Sam Houston Oveta Culp Hobby, the first woman appointed as a commanding officer of a military unit, the first director of the Women's Army Corps and the first Secretary of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, now known as the Department of Health and Human Services; the second woman to serve in a Cabinet for a U.S. president; Sybil Leonard Armes, a Christian author, alternate poet laureate of Texas in 1969, and former trustee of UMHB Miriam 'Ma' Ferguson, Texas' first female governor and the second woman to be elected governor of any state in the U.S. Buddy Groom, Major League Baseball pitcher from 1992-2005 Jerrell Freeman, Canadian and American football linebacker Mary Gentry Kavanaughm Class of 1855, The first graduate of the Female Department of Baylor University in Independence. Fannie H. Hatchett, Class of 1879. One of the first women in Texas to earn a medical degree. Bess Whitehead Scott, Class of 1911. The first female news and feature reporter for the Houston Post newspaper. Clara MacCash Cochran, Class of 1927. In 1955, the first woman to serve as foreman of a grand jury in Texas. Martha Moore Clancy, Class of 1929. Directed a music program in her church which helped develop the graded choir programs in Southern Baptist Convention churches. Alberta Brown Murphy, Class of 1931. Attorney and civil rights activist who worked to improve race relations and treatment of the mentally ill in Alabama. Rhobia Taylor, Class of 1934. The first woman named by the Secretary of Labor to represent the U.S. Department of Labor and the second in the nation to sit on a Federal Executive Board. Kay Teer Crawford, Class of 1936. Directed the drill team portion of the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and in 1986, the drill team ceremonies of the Statue of Liberty celebration. Dr. Minnie Caddell Miles, Class of 1936. National president of the Business and Professional Women who advocated for ï¿½equal pay for equal workï¿½ for women in the workplace. President John F. Kennedy requested her attendance when he signed the bill into law. Dr. Sally Provence, Class of 1937. Professor of Pediatrics at Yale University Child Study Center for 40 years and a nationally recognized authority in pediatrics. Dr. Anna Beth Connell, Class of 1943. One of the first female doctors in the military; served in the Navy following World War II. Dr. Bess Hieronymus, Class of 1944. In 1993, became the first American and the first woman inducted into the prestigious 131 year-old National Russian Music Society, joining noted composers Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky. Mary Hamilton Purcell, Class of 1947. Former president of American Association of University Women and International Federation of University Women, serves as a liaison with the United Nations in New York City on matters of concern with women all over the world. Helen Holmes Ruchti, Class of 1950. In 1967, elected president of the European Baptist Convention, the first woman and the first non-ordained individual to fill that position. Luci Swindoll, Class of 1955. Author of eight books and one of six inspirational speakers with Women of Faith who may speak to 20,000-26,000 women at each of several conferences held annually in major U.S. cities. Frances Garmon, Class of 1961. In 1979, coached the first USA team in the World University Games to ever beat Russia in womenï¿½s international basketball. In 1982, her team again won over the Russians and in 1983, she coached the gold-medal winning USA Pan American womenï¿½s team. Fran was inducted into the national Womenï¿½s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, Tennessee, in June, 2000. Madge Mao Meyer, Class of 1961. Listed as one of the premier 100 Information Technology leaders in 2004; she is Executive Vice President for State Street Corporation in Boston. An early assignment with IBM included doing mathematical computations and analyses for the last three Gemini orbital spaceflights. Dr. Carole Smith, Class of 1965. Helped develop organized intercollegiate athletics for women in Texas. Norma Pullin, Class of 1966. With her volleyball team won 13 state titles; ranked third in the nation and second in Texas in total number of games won while coaching. Dorothy Doolittle, Class of 1969. Among the first women to run in a marathon, at one time was ranked 5th in the nation and 6th in the world.
Suburban, 170 Acres (0.69 Km2)