RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

University of Connecticut-Storrs

The University of Connecticut (UConn) is a public research university in the U.S. state of Connecticut. UConn was founded in 1881 and is a Land Grant and Sea Grant college & member of the Space Grant Consortium. The university serves more than 30,000 students on its six campuses, including more than 8,000 graduate students in multiple programs.
 
UConn is one of the founding institutions of the Hartford, Connecticut/Springfield, Massachusetts regional economic and cultural partnership alliance known as New England's Knowledge Corridor. UConn is a member of Universitas 21, a global network of 24 research-intensive universities, who work together to foster global citizenship.UConn is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
 
UConn was founded in 1881 as the Storrs Agricultural School, named after two brothers who donated the land for the school. In 1893, the school became a land grant college. In 1939, the name was changed to the University of Connecticut. Over the next decade, social work, nursing, and graduate programs were established, and existing schools of law and pharmacy were absorbed into the university. During the 1960s, the University of Connecticut Health Center was established for new medical and dental schools. John Dempsey Hospital opened in Farmington in 1975.

Tag

Location

Address
Storrs
City
Storrs
State
CT
Zip/Post Code
06269-1173

Contact Information

Phone
Fax
Website
Financial Aid Website

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
18032
Total Graduate enrollment
1404
In State Tuition Fees
9858
Out State Tuition Fees
30038
ACT Score
27
SAT Score
1840
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.65
Male Female Ratio
50:50
Acceptance Rate
49%
Student Faculty Ratio
16:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Jonathan The Husky
Colors
White and Blue
Conference
American Athletic

College History

History

UConn was founded in 1881 as the Storrs Agricultural School. It was named after Charles and Augustus Storrs, two brothers who donated the land for the school as well as initial funding. Women began attending classes in 1891 and were officially admitted in 1893, when the name was changed to Storrs Agricultural College and it became Connecticut's land grant college.

In 1899, the name changed again to Connecticut Agricultural College; in 1933, to Connecticut State College; and finally in 1939, to the University of Connecticut. In 1940, the school was first divided into individual colleges and schools, reflecting its new university status. This was also the year that the School of Social Work and School of Nursing were first established. The graduate program was also started at this time, and existing schools of law and pharmacy were absorbed into the university. Ph.D.s have been awarded since 1949. During the 1960s, the University of Connecticut Health Center was established in Farmington as a home for the new School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine.

John Dempsey Hospital opened in Farmington in 1975 and has been operated by UConn ever since. In 1995, a state-funded program called UConn 2000 was passed by the Connecticut General Assembly and signed into law by then-Gov. John G. Rowland. This 10-year program set aside $1 billion to upgrade campus facilities, add faculty, and otherwise improve the university. An additional $1.3 billion was pledged by the State of Connecticut in 2002 as part of a new 10-year improvement plan known as 21st Century UConn.

College Specialty

Specialty

The University of Connecticut is dedicated to excellence demonstrated through national and international recognition. As Connecticuts public research university, through freedom of academic inquiry and expression, we create and disseminate knowledge by means of scholarly and creative achievements, graduate and professional education, and outreach. Through our focus on teaching and learning, the University helps every student grow intellectually and become a contributing member of the state, national, and world communities.

Alumni

Alumni
Graduation and life thereafter can be a whirlwind. From job searching to wedding planning, we’ve all got one good reason or another for losing touch with fellow Huskies. Luckily, we’ve also got one great way to find one another yet again – the Alumni Association’s Alumni Directory.
 
Alumni Association:www.uconnalumni.com

Campus

Campus
The primary and original UConn campus is located in Storrs, a division of the Town of Mansfield, 22 miles (35 km) east of Hartford, Connecticut's capital.
 
The University of Connecticut Libraries form the largest public research collection in the state of Connecticut. The main library is the Homer D. Babbidge Library, formerly the Nathan Hale Library, at the Storrs campus, which underwent a $3 million renovation that was completed in 1998, making it then the largest public research library in New England.[8] The Storrs campus is also home to the university's Music and Pharmacy libraries, as well as the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, home to the university's archives and special collections, including university records, rare books, and manuscript collections.
 
Each of the regional campuses also have their own libraries, including the Jeremy Richard Library at UConn-Stamford and the Trecker Library in West Hartford. These libraries are tied into the Babbidge library through a shared catalogue. The Babbidge-based collection places UConn among the top 30 universities in the nation for both library holdings and funding, containing more than 2.5 million print volumes; approximately 2,500 current print periodicals; more than 35,000 unique electronic journals through the eJournal locator; 2.8 million units of microfilm; 180,000 maps at the Map and Geographic Information Center (New England's largest public map collection); millions of electronic books; and an array of free electronic information sources. 
X
X
X
X