University of Colorado
On March 14, 1876, the Colorado territorial legislature passed an amendment to the state constitution that provided money for the establishment of the University of Colorado in Boulder, the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, and Colorado Agricultural College in Fort Collins, now known as Colorado State University. Two cities competed for the site University of Colorado: Boulder and Caon City.
The consolation prize for the losing city was to be home of the new Colorado State Prison. Caon City was at a disadvantage as it was already the home of the Colorado Territorial Prison. (There are now six prisons in the Caon City area.) The cornerstone of the building that became Old Main was laid on September 20, 1875. The doors of the university opened on September 5, 1877.
At the time, there were few high schools in the state that could adequately prepare students for university work, so in addition to the University, a preparatory school was formed on campus. In the fall of 1877, the student body consisted of 15 students in the college proper and 50 students in the preparatory school.
There were 38 men and 27 women, and their ages ranged from 1223 years. During World War II, Colorado was one of 131 colleges and universities nationally that took part in the V-12 Navy College Training Program which offered students a path to a Navy commission.
By the year 2030, CU-Boulder will be one of the nation’s top public research universities and a leading model of the “new flagship university” of the 21st century. The bold and visionary initiatives of Flagship 2030 lay a strong foundation for the university as we redefine learning and discovery in a global context and set new standards in education.
The University of Colorado Boulder ranks fourth among U.S. universities in number of astronauts produced, not including military academies.
In addition, the University of Colorado Boulder has graduated two Heads of State - Mongolian President Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj, and Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf; and two associate justices of the Supreme Court of the United States - Wiley Rutledge, and Byron White.
The main CU-Boulder campus is located south of the Pearl Street Mall. It consists of academic and residential buildings as well as research facilities.
The East Campus is about a quarter mile from the main campus and is composed mainly of athletic fields and research buildings.