University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas ï¿½ Fort Smith, also known as UAFS, is a public, co-educational, four-year university. Located in Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States, UAFS is one of eleven campuses that constitute the University of Arkansas System. UAFS is the fifth largest university in Arkansas, with a fall 2012 credit enrollment of approximately 7,587. UAFS offers in-state tuition rates not only to Arkansas residents, but also those from Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.
The University of Arkansas ï¿½ Fort Smith was established in 1928 as an extension of the public school system in Fort Smith, Arkansas, with the superintendent, James William Ramsey, acting as the college president and the high school principal as dean. Known originally as Fort Smith Junior College, the institution operated within the Fort Smith public school system until 1950, when the school was incorporated as a private, nonprofit institution with its own governing board. In September 1952, the College moved from borrowed facilities in the high school to its current site, initially occupying 15 acres (61,000 m2). During the private college era, enrollment increased, as did course offerings, the number of faculty, and facilities. A vocational-technical division was added in 1960. During this period, the college began developing the programs and character of a comprehensive community college ï¿½ a new concept in Arkansas and across the nation. In the fall of 1965, the Sebastian County electorate approved the creation of the Sebastian County Community Junior College District, along with a tax levy on the real and personal property of the county. The governor appointed a Board of Trustees, and the school again became a public institution. In 1966, the institutionï¿½s name was changed from Fort Smith Junior College to Westark Junior College, and in 1972, to Westark Community College, indicating the larger area to be served and reflecting the more comprehensive mission. Throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, the college developed and made changes within the context of its mission as a two-year institution. A significant development in 1989 was the establishment of a University Center. Five state universities partnered with the institution to offer six bachelorï¿½s and seven masterï¿½s degree programs on campus. Between 1989 and 2002, 1,788 students graduated with bachelorï¿½s degrees through the University Center. In 1997, the Arkansas Legislature passed an act granting Westark the authority to offer in its own right up to nine applied bachelorï¿½s degrees, developed in response to identified needs of the industries in the area served. The name of the college was changed yet again in February 1998 to Westark College, more accurately portraying the role and scope of the institution. On December 15, 2000, the Board of Trustees of Westark College entered into an agreement with the Board of Trustees of the University of Arkansas to merge with the University of Arkansas System as a four-year institution. In 2001, the Sebastian County electorate voted to support the merger. A formal request to change affiliation status to that of a bachelorï¿½s degree-granting institution under the name of the University of Arkansas ï¿½ Fort Smith was submitted to the Higher Learning Commission in August 2001 and approved by the Institutional Actions Council on November 19, 2001. The merger, which became official on January 1, 2002, endorsed the concept of UAFS as a unique university, one that offers applied and traditional baccalaureate degree programs, one- and two-year associate and technical programs, and noncredit business and industry training programs. In 2006 Arkansas state senator David Bisbee attempted to review the University of Arkansas ï¿½ Fort Smith's legal status. Bisbee claimed he wanted to make sure the institution was in good legal standing.
Foster a culture that increasingly values excellent teaching Expose faculty to new pedagogical approaches that will lead to greater student learning Promote the scholarship of learning and teaching involving the observation and analysis of student learning so that appropriate instructional changes can be made Promote a community of practice in which faculty across all disciplines collaborate to develop innovative teaching practices and thereby, improve student learning Promote reflective and scholarly practice in a vibrant and active learning community
168 Acres (0.68ï¿½Km2)