TreveCommunity Collegea Nazarene University
Trevecca Nazarene University in Nashville, Tennessee, is a Christian college with a well-rounded curriculum, including degree programs specifically suited to working adults. Trevecca also has a unique ministry program offered in collaboration with a leading charitable non-profit.
For more than a hundred years, Trevecca Nazarene University has been meeting the educational needs of students. From its earliest beginnings in 1901 as a pastorï¿½s training class for Christian workers to its modern role as a university, Treveccaï¿½s focus has been to provide higher education within the context of a Christian community. The name Trevecca means House of Rebecca or "a binding together in love." Trevecka is the name of a school, a castle, and a village in Wales (all in the same area). The school, established in 1768 by Lady Huntingdon, was an effort to ï¿½bring togetherï¿½ followers of John Calvin and John Wesley. Treveccaï¿½s founder, J. O. McClurkan, probably chose that name because he, too, saw the value of both ways of thinking and because he believed that name was appropriate for a nonsectarian holiness school. The following is a brief history of important events in the history of Trevecca. 1901 The Reverend J. O. McClurkan, a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, began teaching a small group of parishioners who wanted to be more effective Christian workers. That group grew, and later that year McClurkan announced the establishment of the Literary and Bible Training School for Christian Workers. 1911 The curriculum was enlarged and the name changed to Trevecca College, a name taken from an institution started in Wales in 1768 during the Wesleyan revival. This school was located on part of what is now the Ryman Auditorium property in downtown Nashville. 1914 The College was moved from downtown Nashville to a site on Gallatin Road in East Nashville. 1917 Trevecca became an official college of the Church of the Nazarene. 1935 Trevecca was established at its present location on Murfreesboro Road in southeast Nashville. 1942 Trevecca graduated its first four-year class. 1969 Trevecca earned accreditation from Southern Association of Schools. 1984 Masterï¿½s degree programs in education were added. 1987 Masterï¿½s degrees in religion were added. 1987 Trevecca began the Management and Human Relations Program, Middle Tennesseeï¿½s first degree-completion program. Tennessee. 1992 Masterï¿½s degrees in organizational management were added. 1995 The Board of Trustees voted to change the name of Trevecca Nazarene College to Trevecca Nazarene University. 1999 The doctorate in education (EdD) was added. 2007 A second doctorate was added, the EdD in clinical counseling. 2011 Trevecca offered its first PhD after the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools approved making the EdD in clinical counseling a PhD. The University published two books of Treveccaï¿½s history. The Trevecca Story, by Mildred Wynkoop, covers the years from 1901 to 1976; it was published in honor of Treveccaï¿½s 75th anniversary. In 2001, Trevecca's centennial year, the University published a centennial history; A Vine of God's Own Choosing, by John F. Chilton, recounts Trevecca's history from 1976 to 2001.
Trevecca Nazarene University is a Christian community providing education for leadership and service.
Large City Setting