The Lincoln University
Theï¿½Lincoln Universityï¿½(LU) is the United States' first degree-grantingï¿½historically black university. Founded as a private university in 1854, since 1972 it has been a public institution. It is located near the town ofï¿½Oxfordï¿½in southernï¿½Chester County, Pennsylvania. The university has two satellite campuses. They are:ï¿½Theï¿½Lincoln Universityï¿½- University Cityï¿½inï¿½Philadelphiaï¿½andï¿½The Lincoln University - Coatesville, which opened in the city ofï¿½Coatesvilleï¿½in Fall 2013. The Lincoln University provides undergraduate and graduate coursework to approximately 2,500 students. As former president Dr.ï¿½Horace Mann Bondï¿½noted in his bookï¿½Education for Freedom: A History of Lincoln University, Pennsylvania, with the college's founding in 1854, "This was the first institution founded anywhere in the world to provide a higher education in thearts and sciencesï¿½for youth of African descent." The University is a member-school ofï¿½Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
John Miller Dickey was the first president of the college. He encouraged some of his first students: James Ralston Amos (1826ï¿½1864), his brother Thomas Henry Amos (1825ï¿½1869), and Armistead Hutchinson Miller (1829/30-1865), to support the establishment of Liberia as a colony for African Americans. (This was a project of the American Colonization Society.) Each of the men became ordained ministers. In 1866, Ashmun Institute was renamed Lincoln University after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln the previous year. The college attracted highly talented students from numerous states, especially during the long decades of legal segregation in the South. As may be seen on the list of notable alumni (link below), many went on to achievements in careers in academia, public service, the arts and many other fields. In 1945 Dr. Horace Mann Bond, an alumnus of Lincoln, was selected as the first African-American president of the university. During his 12-year tenure, he continued to do social science research, and helped support the important civil rights case of Brown v. Board of Education, decided in 1954 by the US Supreme Court. He established an important relationship with the collector Albert C. Barnes, who ensured Lincoln University had a role in the management of his art collection, the Barnes Foundation. From 1854 to 1954, Lincoln University graduates accounted for 20 percent of Black physicians and over 10 percent of Black lawyers in the United States. In 1972 Lincoln University formally associated with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a state-related institution. In 2013, the University officially refined its name and brand as The Lincoln University to emphasize its distinction as the nation's first HBCU, as well as to distinguish itself from other universities of the same name in Missouri, California and New Zealand, as well as Lincoln Memorial in Tennessee. Some people prefer the former name.
Founded in 1854, The Lincoln University, the nationï¿½s first degree-granting Historically Black College & University (HBCU), is committed to maintaining a nurturing and stimulating environment for learning, teaching, research, creative expression and public service for a diverse student body, faculty and workforce. With a myriad of firsts to its credit and a tradition of producing world leaders, the University engages in programs that increase knowledge and global understanding. The Universityï¿½s diverse student body and expert workforce foster a supportive environment for professional and personal growth and mutual respect.
Lincoln University has the distinction of having alumni who founded the following six colleges and universities in the United States and abroad: South Carolina State University, Livingstone University, Albany State University, Texas Southern University, Ibibio State College (Nigeria) and the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (Ghana). The Lincoln University has two alumni being honored with commemorative first-class U.S. Stamps by the United States Postal Service: Thurgood Marshall (BA 1930) and Langston Hughes (BA 1929)
Rural 422 Acres