The State University of New York at Plattsburgh, also known as SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh State, or the University at Plattsburgh is a four-year, public liberal arts college in Plattsburgh, New York, United States.
Former state politician and influential Plattsburgh businessman Smith M. Weed championed endlessly for the cause to build a state Normal School (a teachers college) in the city of Plattsburgh. After multiple proposals to the New York State Senate going as far back as 1869, Weed's final bill was formally proposed on January 12, 1888. With the strong backing of Assemblyman General Stephen Moffitt, the Plattsburgh Normal and Training School bill was passed by both houses of the New York State Legislature and signed into law by Governor David B. Hill in June 1889. The board of directors adopted official by-laws for Plattsburgh State Normal and Training School on September 2, 1889. Plattsburgh Normal and Training School, early-1910s At a meeting held on June 28, 1889, it was decided that the location of the new normal school would be on land known as "the former athletic grounds", bounded on the north by Court Street, on the east by Wells Street, on the south by Brinkerhoff Street, and on the west by Beekman Street. However these original plans were dropped in favor of a larger plot created by combining land on each side of Court Street west of Beekman Street, so that "Court Street, one of the finest residence streets in the village, leads directly to the main entrance". This is the same location where Hawkins Hall now rests on the current campus of SUNY Plattsburgh.modern map The impressive structure, known as "Normal Hall", was constructed by Brown Brothers of Mohawk, New York, who also built the Court House in downtown Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh State Normal and Training School officially opened with its first day of classes on the morning of September 3, 1890. The school's first principal was Fox Holden, former Superintendent of the Plattsburgh Union Graded Schools. Holden served for only two years, from 1890 until the first graduating class in 1892. Fire of 1929 The post-fire ruins of Normal Hall On January 26, 1929, a fire completely destroyed the Plattsburgh Normal School. The fire started in the boiler room on a cold Saturday morning. Aided by high winds, the entire structure was fully engulfed in flames within a half-hour. Six children were rescued from the school by faculty members. With an extensive shuffling of city services, classes were able to resume the following Wednesday at City Hall in downtown. The longer term solution was to share facilities with a number of the city's K-12 public schools. These half-day schooling arrangements were necessary for the survival of Plattsburgh Normal School but proved to be too disruptive to public school students, and the practice was discontinued in September 1930. By that time initial plans were finally being approved for a new structure to replace Normal Hall. Plans were formally approved on October 10. The new building would be located in the same location and be twice as large as the old Normal Hall. The new structure was completed in 1932 and was named Hawkins Hall in honor of George K. Hawkins, the principal of Plattsburgh Normal School from 1898 to 1933. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Modern era Plattsburgh State Normal and Training School was renamed SUNY Plattsburgh when it joined the State University of New York system with its establishment in 1948. When the school became part of the SUNY system, it changed from a two-year teacher's institution to a selective, four-year, public liberal arts college. During the 1960s and 1970s SUNY Plattsburgh, as well as the whole State University of New York system, underwent rapid growth. Many of the more modern buildings on campus were constructed during this time period, including the Angell College Center, Feinberg Library, and several high-rise dormitories. Since 1978, the student population has remained relatively low, ranging between 5,900 and 6,600 matriculated students. The lowest enrollment during this time was the fall 2004 semester, with 5,909, and the highest enrollment in the fall 1988 semester, with 6,594.
SUNY Plattsburgh is a public, comprehensive college that prepares students for academic, professional, and personal success.
Cheryl Hogle ï¿½ First female president of Omicron Delta Kappa, serving from 1998 to 2002. Hogle worked on student housing and residence life for the Student Affairs office at SUNY Plattsburgh. Cheryl M. Hogle Court Yard outside of Algonquin Dining Hall is named in her honor. She is also an alumnus of SUNY Plattsburgh, class of 1968. Eliza Kellas ï¿½ Renowned educator and suffragist. Former principal of Emma Willard School and co-founder of Russell Sage College. Kellas served at Plattsburgh Normal School from 1891 to 1901, reaching the position of Preceptress (equivalent to Dean of Students). Jacques Lemaire ï¿½ Former NHL ice hockey player, elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1984. Lemaire was an Assistant Coach for Cardinal Hockey during the 1981ï¿½1982 season
Small Town, 256 Acres