The State University of New York at Canton is a public, coeducational, residential college located on a spacious campus along the banks of the Grasse River in St. Lawrence County, New York, United States within the Town of Canton
Originally founded in 1906 as the School of Agriculture (SOA) at St. Lawrence University, SUNY Canton was the first postsecondary, two-year college in New York authorized by the Legislature. In 1941, SOA was renamed the New York State Agricultural and Technical Institute (ATI). ATI became a member college of the State University of New York in 1948. To recognize advanced technology programs added in the 1950s and '60s, the College underwent another name change in 1965, this time becoming the State University of New York Agricultural and Technical College at Canton or ATC. In 1987, the University's Board of Trustees authorized yet another name change to the College's present designation as State University of New York College of Technology at Canton. Beginning a new era for the College, in 1997 SUNY Canton received bachelor's degree granting approval from the SUNY Trustees and the Governor of New York State. Since 1997, nearly 20 bachelor's degree programs have been approved, and several others are in development. In 2012, a fire damaged part of the Cook Science Center.
SUNY Canton is dedicated to providing a progression of accessible, affordable, high-quality applied programs that enable students in the North Country, New York State, and beyond to achieve their highest potential both personally and professionally.