College Search

Report Abuse

Stevenson University

Stevenson University is a private, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college and university that is located in the Greenspring Valley area of Baltimore County, Maryland, United States


1525 Greenspring Valley Rd


Total Undergrad enrollment
Total Graduate enrollment
In State Tuition Fees
Out State Tuition Fees
ACT Score
SAT Score
Grade Point Average(GPA)
Male Female Ratio
Acceptance Rate
Student Faculty Ratio

Additional Information

College Type
Religious Affiliation
Campus Housing
Mustang Horse
Green And White

College History


Stevenson University was founded in Maryland as Villa Julie College in 1947 by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur as a one-year school training women to become medical secretaries. The College was named for Saint Julie Billiart, foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame. Stevenson's Greenspring campus is located on the 80-acre (320,000 m2) former estate of the George Carroll Jenkins family. The estate's name was "Seven Oaks," a reference to huge old oak trees planted on the property. They were thought to mark a traditional Lenni Lenape burial ground. One of these seven oaks survived on campus as late as August 2007, when it was deemed potentially hazardous and cut down. Accreditation and expansion (1950s - 1990s) School logo until 2008 Villa Julie was approved as a two-year college by the Maryland State Department of Education in 1954 and received its first Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation in 1962. In 1967 the College established a Board of Trustees and became independent of the Catholic Church. Villa Julie became coeducational in 1972, admitting its first male student that year. Bachelor's degree programs were added in 1984, starting with degrees in Computer Information Systems and Paralegal Studies. Traditionally a commuter college for local residents, by the early 1990s, the College started attracting students interested in college housing. Without the proper zoning for such an addition to the Stevenson campus, the College leased off-campus apartments in Pikesville and later in Towson, where resident students began living in 1993. Villa Julie was granted admission to the NCAA Division III in 1994. It started offering master's degrees in 1995. A major 1997 campus expansion more than doubled the amount of instructional space on campus. Growth in a new century (2000s) On October 28, 2000, Villa Julie College inaugurated its fourth president Kevin J. Manning Ph.D., who succeeded Carolyn Manuszak. Manning brought new momentum to the development and expansion of the College and its facilities. As enrollment continued to increase and the demand for college-owned student housing intensified, the College made plans to open a second campus in Owings Mills. The College broke ground on a new campus in August 2003, and the Owings Mills campus opened in August 2004. The Owings Mills campus included several major residence complexes. In 2006 Rockland Center, a new student union and dining hall, was completed. The Caves Sports and Wellness Center also opened that same year. Stevenson University (2007-present) In late 2007, the school's leaders decided to make changes needed to attain university status. Many meetings were held to help determine whether the name should be changed to Villa Julie University, or something different, given its broader reach. Other names considered were Great Oaks University, Tufton University, Greenspring University, Rockland University, Sagamore University, and Billiart University. On June 11, 2008, the university's Board of Trustees voted to name the school Stevenson University: it referred to the original location of Villa Julie College and Robert Stevenson, a prominent Baltimore grain merchant who married Deborah Owings, the granddaughter of the founder of Owings Mills. The Howard S. Brown School of Business and Leadership opened for the fall 2008 semester and houses the Departments of Business & Legal Studies and Information Technology. The school expanded in 2010 with the opening of a school gymnasium on the Owings Mills Campus. The New School of Design opened in 2013. Formerly housed on the Greenspring Campus, the School of Design moved to facilities on a property purchased from Shire Pharmaceuticals; it has been developed as the Owings Mills North Campus on Crondall Lane. Future expansion of Stevenson University may include acquisition of the Rosewood Center, a former state hospital under study in 2012 for use by the university. Environmental and surveyor issues are still in progress to determine whether the university can purchase the property to expand the Owings Mills campus to the east. If approved, Stevenson's plans for the site include expansion for the School of Education and additional athletic fields

College Specialty


The University is an innovative, coeducational, independent institution offering undergraduate and graduate students a career-focused education marked by individualized attention, civility, and respect for difference. The University blends the liberal arts with career exploration and planning, complementing a traditional education with applied learning beyond the classroom. The University meets students where they are and supports and challenges them to become reflective and accomplished individuals committed to a lifetime of learning and contribution. Students graduate with the competence and confidence needed to address creatively the opportunities and problems facing their communities, the nation, and the world.



Kimberly Brooks, actress Martha Scanlan Klima, former member of Maryland House of Delegates On May 21, 2010, Wikipedia's co-founder Jimmy Wales delivered his first college commencement address to Stevenson's graduating seniors and received an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University