RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

St. Andrews University

St. Andrews University, formerly St. Andrews Presbyterian College, is a private, Presbyterian, four-year liberal arts college in Laurinburg, in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The university was established in 1958 as a result of a merger of Flora MacDonald College In Red Springs and Presbyterian Junior College and was named St. Andrews Presbyterian College from 1960 until 2011 when the college changed its name to St. Andrews University. That same year, the college entered into a merger with Webber International University of Babson Park, Florida. The current president is Paul Baldasare, who was named by the Board of Trustees in December 2006. It is also home to the St. Andrews Press. In 2013, St. Andrews University added its first Graduate program, a MBA in Business Administration

Tag

Location

Address
1700 Dogwood Mile
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Zip/Post Code
28352-5521

Contact Information

Phone
Fax
Website
Financial Aid Website

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
130
Total Graduate enrollment
70
In State Tuition Fees
4510
Out State Tuition Fees
4510
Male Female Ratio
46:54
Acceptance Rate
57%
Student Faculty Ratio
16:01

Additional Information

College Type
Private
Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian Church
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Rory Mclion
Colors
Blue And White
Conference
Appalachian

College History

History

The institution was founded in 1958, established as a result of the merger of Flora MacDonald College in Red Springs (est. 1896) and Presbyterian Junior College in Maxton (est. 1928). The new college was named St. Andrews Presbyterian College September 23, 1960. The name reflected its Scottish Presbyterian heritage and to identify it with the University of St. Andrews, in Scotland. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on April 15, 1959, followed shortly by construction of campus on an 800-acre location on the south side of Laurinburg. St. Andrews held an opening convocation and classes began on September 22, 1961 with 750 students. Unusual for its time, the campus was designed to be accessible and barrier-free to students with physical disabilities. Ten buildings had been completed by the opening of the college in 1961, including: the Academic Building and the Vardell Building, Student Center, a maintenance building, and six residence halls named for presbyteries in the Synod of North Carolina. Enrollment grew to over 900 by 1970 and the college saw expansion of facilities and curriculum in its first ten years. Two additional men's dorms, the DeTamble Library, and the Physical Education Center were completed in the late 1960s and the Morgan-Jones Science Center and Avinger Auditorium were completed in 1970. In its early years the college developed the Christianity and Culture Program or C and C for short. The program focused on interdisciplinary curriculum that provided freshmen and sophomore level courses in ancient and modern civilization, junior level courses in non-Western cultures, and senior level courses in American studies. The program also included study abroad options in Israel, Greece and Rome. St. Andrews introduced the Selected Topics in Modern Science, known as STMS, in 1969. First offered as a required freshman level two-term course in natural sciences, the STMS, developed into a broad interdisciplinary program that connected various scientific disciplines to one another. The college began the St. Andrews Press in 1972. The college experienced a number of changes during the early 1970s. St. Andrews, along with many other colleges across the United States, experienced political and social unrest on campus stemming from the unpopular Vietnam War coupled with the rising cost of education, economic recession, and the 1973 oil crisis. To combat financial struggles and decreased enrollment, St. Andrews replaced the Christianity and Culture Program with a new program known as the St. Andrews Studies Program (SAS). In the late 1970s, the Student Center was renovated and named the William Henry Belk College Center. The Katherine McKay Belk Tower was built on Chapel Island at the center of campus. St. Andrews renovated the Kings Mountain dormitory in 1978, renamed it Pate Hall, and made into a continuing education center to accommodate an expanding adult education program. In the early 1980s, St. Andrews redesigned the core programs, incorporating curriculum elements of the former C&C, SAS, and STMS programs. The new St. Andrews General Education Program, called SAGE, focused on general education curriculum with interdisciplinary courses in humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. St. Andrews also expanded academic majors in the areas of mathematics, computer science, psychology, the natural sciences, and business administration. From 1978 until 1999, St. Andrews was the site of the Governor's School of North Carolina's East campus.

College Specialty

Specialty

We at Student Services have a focus of helping students achieve what they deserve; the best �Student Experience� they can get. All students, all people, come across barriers in life where they do not know where to go or how to best proceed. This does not make them stupid. It does not make them failures. They just need guidance, a pointer, a reflection to offer them a route to follow, or a tool to get over a hurdle and back on track. Our task is to reflect back, to suggest options, to support and open doors; throughout the whole student experience, night and day, in the classroom and out. The student is our partner and together we will develop; staff, student and institution. What will we develop? Individuality, Open-Mindedness, Critical Thinking, hand in hand with respect and without prejudice.

Campus

Campus

Suburban 940 Acres

X
X
X
X