RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Southern Wesleyan University

outhern Wesleyan University is a four-year and graduate Christian college, with its main campus in Central, South Carolina. The university was founded in 1906 by what is now the Wesleyan Church.
 
The school prepares students for leadership and graduate study in such fields as business, education, religion, music, medicine, law and a variety of civic and social service professions. It offers approximately 35 major areas of study for undergraduates and also offers graduate degrees in the areas of business and education.
 
The university serves approximately 1,900 students. There are more than 600 traditional undergraduates enrolled at the main campus in Central, South Carolina. In addition, undergraduate and graduate programs are offered in a non-traditional, evening format at regional learning centers in Central, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, North Augusta, Greenwood and Spartanburg. Dr. Todd Voss serves as Southern Wesleyan University's president.

Tag

Location

Address
907 Wesleyan Dr
City
Central
State
SC
Zip/Post Code
29630

Contact Information

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
1456
Total Graduate enrollment
423
In State Tuition Fees
19950
Out State Tuition Fees
19950
ACT Score
20
SAT Score
1462
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.50
Male Female Ratio
40:60
Acceptance Rate
93%
Student Faculty Ratio
18:01

Additional Information

College Type
Private
Religious Affiliation
Wesleyan Church
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Warriors
Colors
Blue and Gold
Conference
Carolinas
Athletic Twitter

College History

History

In 1904, representatives of Wesleyan Methodist churches in South Carolina and surrounding states met at Central to consider the possibility of establishing a college. They held a prayer meeting in a field that is now part of the main campus and concluded that this was the place to build. Classes at the new school began on October 15, 1906, with students from first grade through college. Initially known as the Wesleyan Methodist Bible Institute (1906-1908), subsequent names included Wesleyan Methodist College (1909-1959) and Central Wesleyan College (1959-1994). The school was renamed Southern Wesleyan University in 1994. A campus fixture for nearly 60 years, Smith Hall was the first building constructed on College Hill.

When it opened in 1906, it housed the chapel, six classrooms, administrative space and a small library collection. In 1916, construction was completed on Grimes Hall, which became the central campus landmark until the early 1970s. The building served classroom and administrative purposes, as well as chapel, library and dining hall at times.

Since then the campus has expanded to nearly 20 buildings over 250 acres (101 ha). For a number of years the college operated as a two-year junior college, except for the four-year theological program. For many years elementary and secondary school classes were offered as well. In the late 1950s, the pre-college programs were phased out, and the college moved to a full four-year program.

The junior college program had previously received accreditation, but Central Wesleyan College (as the school was then called) was accredited to award bachelor's degrees in 1973. The university is now accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees. 

College Specialty

Specialty

Southern Wesleyan is a comprehensive university with both undergraduate and graduate programs dedicated to the concept that God is the source of all truth and wisdom. Its purpose is to create an atmosphere in which members of the university community work together toward wholeness through the integration of personal faith, intellectual pursuits, and practical living. The university seeks to meet the needs of students with various abilities and backgrounds, enabling them to realize their personal and professional educational goals.

Alumni

Alumni

Dan Seaborn, Marriage counselor, public speaker Ken Schenck, Dean of Wesley Seminary at Indiana Wesleyan University.

Alumni Association:www.swu.edu/life-at-swu/alumni-friends/

Campus

Campus
A campus fixture for nearly 60 years, Smith Hall was the first building constructed on College Hill. When it opened in 1906, it housed the chapel, six classrooms, administrative space and a small library collection. In 1916, construction was completed on Grimes Hall, which became the central campus landmark until the early 1970s. The building served classroom and administrative purposes, as well as chapel, library and dining hall at times. Since then the campus has expanded to nearly 20 buildings over 250 acres (101 ha).
X
X
X
X