RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Southeastern University

Southeastern University is a private Christian liberal arts university located in Lakeland, Florida, USA. It was established in 1935 in New Brockton, Alabama as a Bible college, relocated to Lakeland in 1946, and became a liberal arts college in 1970. The school has four colleges and is the largest Assemblies of God educational institution in the United States. The university offers 45 bachelor's degrees and ten master's degrees.

Location

Address
1000 Longfellow Blvd
City
Lakeland
State
FL

Contact Information

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
3083
Total Graduate enrollment
255
In State Tuition Fees
18986
Out State Tuition Fees
18986
ACT Score
24
SAT Score
1120
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.44
Male Female Ratio
45:55
Acceptance Rate
43%
Student Faculty Ratio
19:01

Additional Information

College Type
Private
Religious Affiliation
Assemblies of God
Campus Housing
Yes
Mascot
Fire
Colors
Black White Red
Conference
Sun Conf.

College History

History

Southeastern University was founded in 1935 by Assemblies of God Alabama District Superintendent J.C. Thames and other Southeastern district leaders as the South-Eastern Bible Institute. Originally located in a former high school building in New Brockton, Alabama, SEBI opened its doors to students on November 4, 1935, under the direction of four faculty members. Edgar W. Bethany, Karl M. Gygax, Helen B. Stewart, and Myrtle G. Eason composed the original faculty. Two years later, in June, the first graduation exercises were held. Seventeen students received diplomas for the two-year academic program. SEBI continued classes in New Brockton until 1940 when a decision was made to consolidate the school with Beulah Heights Bible Institute in Atlanta, Georgia. The school was known from 1940 to 1942 as the Beulah Heights�South-Eastern Bible Institute. In the fall of 1942, the district superintendents of the Southeastern districts accepted the invitation of the Rev. Ralph Byrd and his congregation to move the school to another location in Atlanta. For two years, Byrd served the school, without remuneration, as principal and business manager. In 1946, the school�s board of directors voted to secure a permanent location for the full development of the school. A new campus location was purchased later that year in Lakeland, Florida. The Atlanta campus was sold, and development of the new site began. Student body growth continued at the new central Florida campus along with the academic program. SEBI became South-Eastern Bible College in 1956 when the school began offering four-year, bachelor�s degree programs. After adding education degrees, the college�s board of directors changed the school name to Southeastern College of the Assemblies of God. In 1986, Southeastern was granted regional accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Accreditation was reaffirmed in 1991 and 2001. In 2005, Southeastern College officially became Southeastern University, and began offering its first master�s degree programs, and formed the colleges of arts and sciences, business, Christian ministries and religion, and education. As of 2014, Southeastern University is the largest Assemblies of God educational institution in the U.S.

College Specialty

Specialty

Equipping students to discover and develop their divine design to serve Christ and the world through Spirit-empowered life, learning, and leadership.

Alumni

Alumni

Dee Gordon, shortstop with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Campus

Campus

88 Acres (360,000�M2)

X
X
X
X