RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Shelton State Community College

Shelton State Community College is a two-year community college located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Operated by the Alabama State Department of Postsecondary Education, Shelton is one of the largest two-year colleges in the state.

Tag

Location

Address
9500 Old Greensboro Rd
City
Tuscaloosa
State
AL
Zip/Post Code
35405

Contact Information

Phone
Fax
Financial Aid Website

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
5068
In State Tuition Fees
3330
Out State Tuition Fees
6660
Male Female Ratio
44:56
Acceptance Rate
100%
Student Faculty Ratio
25:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
No
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Buccaneers
Colors
Emerald Gold
Conference
Alabama Community College Conf

College History

History

The Tuscaloosa Trade School was created by the Alabama State Board of Education in 1950 and opened for classes in 1952. Its campus was located southeast of downtown, near what is now the intersection of 15th Street/Veterans Memorial Drive and McFarland Boulevard. In 1954, the school was renamed J. P. Shelton Trade School in honor of one of the state legislature who lobbied for the opening of the trade school in Tuscaloosa. In 1976, the school's name was changed to Shelton State Technical College. In 1975, Brewer State Junior College (now Bevill State Community College) opened a branch campus in Tuscaloosa in an old elementary school building near the intersection of 28th Street and Greensboro Avenue. At the time of its opening, it had three full-time faculty and 800 students. In 1977, Brewer State moved to a renovated strip mall on Skyland Boulevard. Shelton State Community College was established on January 1, 1979, by the state Board of Education by combining Shelton State and the Tuscaloosa branch of Brewer State. The two campuses remained separate, with the 15th Street campus acting as the vocational and technical campus and the Skyland Boulevard campus serving as the junior college campus. Tuscaloosa State Trade School was created by the state legislature in 1963. In 1974, the institution became Tuscaloosa State Technical College and was authorized by the Alabama State Board of Education to grant associate degrees. In 1976, the college name was changed to C. A. Fredd State Technical College to honor the first president of the institution. In 1994, Fredd State merged with Shelton State. The new institution retained the name of Shelton State Community College, and the president of Shelton State was named president of the consolidated institution. Around this time, Shelton broke ground on a new campus on Alabama Highway 69 in the growing Taylorville suburb of Tuscaloosa. The new campus - named Martin campus - opened in 1997-98 and consolidated the 15th Street and Skyland Boulevard campuses into one. The Fredd campus remained on MLK Boulevard but was renovated extensively to match the architecture of Martin campus.

College Specialty

Specialty

Shelton State Community College is a public open-admission comprehensive community college whose primary�mission is to provide accessible postsecondary education, training, and community educational opportunities.

Campus

Campus

Martin Campus - Suburban C.A. Fredd Campus - Urban

X
X
X
X