RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Savannah State University

Savannah State University is a four-year, state-supported, historically black university located in Savannah, Georgia. Savannah State is the oldest public historically black university in Georgia.

Location

Address
3219 College Street
City
Savannah
State
GA

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
4602
Total Graduate enrollment
169
In State Tuition Fees
3699
Out State Tuition Fees
13460
SAT Score
884
Grade Point Average(GPA)
2.80
Male Female Ratio
44:56
Acceptance Rate
34%
Student Faculty Ratio
22:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mascot
Tiger
Colors
Reflex Blue Orange
Conference
Mid-Eastern (MEAC)

College History

History

Savannah State University was originally founded as a result of the Second Morrill Land Grant Act of August 30, 1890.The act mandated that southern and border states develop land grant colleges for black students, as their systems were segregated. On November 26, 1890 the Georgia General Assembly passed legislation creating the Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth. A preliminary session of the school was held in the Baxter Street School Building in Athens, Georgia where Richard R. Wright Sr. was principal. The college operated in Athens for several months in 1891 before moving to its permanent location in Savannah on October 7, 1891, with Wright as the first president. The school had five faculty members. Its eight students were all graduates of Edmund Asa Ware High School, the first public high school for blacks in Augusta. Early years The college awarded its first baccalaureate degree in 1898. In 1921 the first female students were admitted as residents on the campus. In 1928 the college became a full four-year degree-granting institution and ended the high school and normal school programs. Normal schools had been created in the 19th century in many state systems in the United States, after the German model, to educate teachers for elementary school students. With the expansion of towns across the United States, and continuing issues in trying to educate four million freedmen and their descendants, there was an urgent need to establish many new schools and to quickly train teachers in the North and the South. States used normal schools for training teachers for primary school grades and sometimes secondary school as well. Normal schools or colleges tended to have two or three-year programs. Gradually the normal schools were converted to full colleges with four-year curricula or were left behind. In 1932 the college became a full member institution of the University System of Georgia and its name was changed to Georgia State College.The college served as Georgia�s land-grant institution for African-American students until 1947. The designation was then transferred to Fort Valley State College. In January 1950, the college changed its name to Savannah State College.

College Specialty

Specialty

Savannah State University, the oldest public historically black university in the State of Georgia, develops productive members of a global society through high quality instruction, scholarship, research, service and community involvement. The University fosters engaged learning and personal growth in a student-centered environment that celebrates the African American legacy while nurturing a diverse student body. Savannah State University offers graduate and undergraduate studies including nationally accredited programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and the professions.

Alumni

Alumni

This list of Savannah State University alumni includes graduates, non-graduate former students and current students of Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth, Georgia State College, Savannah State College, and/or Savannah State University. Notable administration, faculty, and staff are found on the list of Savannah State University faculty. Savannah State University is a four-year, state-supported, historically black university (HBCU) located in Savannah, Georgia. The first baccalaureate degree was awarded in 1898. In 1928 the college became a full four-year degree-granting institution and removed the high school and normal school programs. In 1932 the school became a full member institution of the University System of Georgia.

Campus

Campus

175-Acre (708,199.9 M2), Coastal Setting

X
X
X
X