Sam Houston State University
Sam Houston State University was founded in 1879 and is the third oldest public institution of higher learning in the State of Texas.
Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries The Sam Houston State University campus was originally home to Austin College, the Presbyterian institution that relocated to Sherman, Texas in 1876. Austin Hall was constructed in 1851 and is the oldest university building west of the Mississippi still in operation. It was renovated in 2012 and is used today for special meetings and events. Notably, Sam Houston himself attended and participated in the original dedication of the building. Created by legislation signed by Governor Oran M. Roberts on San Jacinto Day, April 21, 1879, Sam Houston Normal Institute's dedicated goal was to train teachers for the public schools of Texas. It was the first teacher-training school in the southwestern United States. On October 10 of the same year, the first class of 110 students and four faculty commenced instruction. The first President of the school, Bernard Mallon, died eleven days after the institute opened. The one-room Peabody Memorial Library was the first free-standing campus library in Texas; it was constructed in 1901 with funds provided by the George Peabody Foundation. According to the Normal Institute's catalogue, the library was "a very handsome structure, and especially designed for the purpose for which it is to be used. It is said that no school of this kind in the South has a Building equal to it." Fully restored, it is now used as a venue for special university events. When the university first opened, students received a certification to teach in the state's elementary and secondary schools. After 1919, the university began to award bachelor's degrees. In 1936, the school awarded its first postbaccalaureate degree. Steps to the Old Main, with a view of Austin Hall. Twenty-First Century SHSU celebrated its 125th year of operation in 2004. The university launched its first capital campaign in March 2006 with a $50 million goal and closed the campaign's books on August 31, 2010, with $61.2 million in commitments. The university has 110,000 living, addressable alumni and an active Alumni Association with 10,000 members, holding 200 meetings and events annually. SHSU-The Woodlands Center opened on May 30, 2012, on the Lone Star College-Montgomery campus. It is a 144,164 sq. ft. facility that has a five-story parking garage. The university also operates SHSU-University Park on the property of Lone Star College-University Park in unincorporated Harris County near Tomball. Name changes Throughout the course of its history, Sam has undergone several name changes. April 21, 1879, founded as Sam Houston Normal Institute 1923: Sam Houston State Teachers College 1965: Sam Houston State College 1967: Sam Houston State University In April, 2007, Texas House Bill 1418 passed without objection in the Texas Legislature, preventing The Texas State University Systemï¿½s Board of Regents from changing the university's name.
COBA Students at an athletic gameThe mission of the College of Business Administration is to provide an excellent education to a diverse student body through traditional and unique business programs primarily at the undergraduate level. The College provides students with the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to achieve successful business careers in a global environment, to become productive and ethically committed citizens, to be prepared for advanced studies, and to pursue life-long learning. Through a continuously improving curriculum, excellent teaching, utilization of technology, and scholarly productivity, the College responds to changing student needs and provides service to its constituencies. This mission is accomplished with talented, diverse, and dedicated faculty, staff, and administrators working together with business, educational, government and community leaders.
Since graduating its first class, Sam Houston State University has had several of its former students go on to garner recognition and accolades. Hiram Abiff Boaz - Bishop; President of Polytechnic College from 1902 to 1911, and of Southern Methodist University from 1920 to 1922 Willie Dee Bowles - historian of women's suffrage William "Bill" R. Brinkley - Professor and Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Baylor College of Medicine Jess T. Davenport - expert on drug abuse at Brown University School of Medicine Melinda Estes - neuropathologist and president and chief executive of the Fletcher Allen Health Care corporation Kenneth R. Mladenka - Political scientist Marilyn McAdams Sibley - Historian
Urban, 272 Acres (1.1 Kmï¿½) Main Campus