RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Quinnipiac University

Quinnipiac University is a private, nonsectarian, coeducational university located in Hamden, Connecticut, United States at the foot of Sleeping Giant State Park.

Location

Address
Mt Carmel Ave
City
Hamden
State
CT
Zip/Post Code
6518

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
6547
Total Graduate enrollment
1713
In State Tuition Fees
37830
Out State Tuition Fees
37830
ACT Score
24
SAT Score
1640
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.4
Male Female Ratio
40:60
Acceptance Rate
65%
Student Faculty Ratio
11:01

Additional Information

College Type
Private
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mascot
Boomer The Bobcat
Colors
Blue Gold
Conference
Metro Atlantic (MAAC)

College History

History

Quinnipiac University was founded in 1929 by Samuel W. Tator, a business professor and politician. Judge Phillip Troup, a Yale College graduate, and Tator's wife, Irmagarde Tator, a Mount Holyoke College graduate, also played major roles in the fledgling institution's founding and nurturing; the former became its first president until his death in 1939; the latter, its first bursar. Quinnipiac was conceived in reaction to Northeastern University's abandonment of its New Haven, Connecticut program at the onset of the Great Depression. Originally, Quinnipiac was located in New Haven and called Connecticut College of Commerce. On opening its doors in 1929, it enrolled under 200, and its first graduating class featured only eight students. At the time, it awarded only associate's degrees. In 1935, the college changed its name to Junior College of Commerce. From 1943 to 1945, the college closed, as nearly its entire student body was drafted into World War II. Upon re-opening, the college's enrollment nearly quadrupled to approximately 800 students. In 1951, the institution was renamed Quinnipiac College, in honor of the Quinnipiac Indian tribe that once inhabited Greater New Haven. That same year, Quinnipiac began to confer bachelor's degrees. In 1952, Quinnipiac expanded rapidly, both physically and in terms of curriculum, relocating to a larger campus in New Haven, and also assuming administrative control of Larson College, a private women's college. In 1966, after having outgrown its campus in New Haven, Quinnipiac moved to its current campus in the Mount Carmel section of Hamden, Connecticut, at the foot of Sleeping Giant Park. During the 1970s, Quinnipiac began to offer master's degrees in a variety of disciplines. Until the 1990s, Quinnipiac remained primarily a commuter college with only a regional reputation; however, that changed during the next decade. In 1995, three major events occurred: the University of Bridgeport's law school migrated to Quinnipiac; the American Bar Association accredited Quinnipiac to award the Juris Doctor degree; and the Quinnipiac School of Law Center was dedicated. Also, during the mid-1990s, Quinnipiac's communications and business programs, respectively, built state-of-the-art facilities and attracted nationally-respected professors. Quinnipiac's Arnold Bernhard Library and clock tower, focus of main campus quadrangle, August 2008. On July 1, 2000, the school officially changed its name to Quinnipiac University � to reflect its relatively new breadth in academic offerings. That same year, Quinnipiac University received accreditation by AACSB. Currently, Quinnipiac offers 52 undergraduate majors, 20 graduate programs, and a JD program. Quinnipiac's Physician's Assistant (PA) program is ranked 11th nationally by U.S. News & World Report. Its Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine admitted 60 students to its first class in 2013. Quinnipiac's Polling Institute is noted for excellence and accuracy by national and international news organizations, and is often cited during election campaigns. The university operates several media outlets, including a professionally-run commercial radio station, WQUN, founded by journalist and Quinnipiac professor Lou Adler. The university also operates a student-run FM radio station WQAQ, which concurrently streams on the Internet. A student-run television station, Q30, can be viewed only on campus. Also, a student-produced newspaper, The Chronicle, established in 1929, publishes 2,500 copies every Wednesday. Students also run a literary magazine, The Montage, a yearbook, The Summit, the Quinnipiac Bobcats Sports Network (an online sports-focused broadcast), and The Quinnipiac Barnacle (a parody news organization). Unaffiliated with the school, but run by students, is also an online newspaper, The Quad News. Quinnipiac is home to one of the world's largest collections of art commemorating the Great Irish Famine. The collection is contained in Ireland's Great Hunger Museum (M�saem An Ghorta Mh�ir) just off the Mount Carmel Campus.

College Specialty

Specialty

The School of Communications fosters student success and leadership in a rapidly changing world of communication by offering a liberal education built on a practical and theoretical foundation of scholarship and ethics, a command of evolving technologies, and a respect for diversity. Our faculty are scholars, artists, and professionals who excel in teaching, research and creative endeavors.

Alumni

Alumni

Ryan Cleckner � Former Army Sniper and Veteran Activist Murray Lender � Businessman and former CEO of Lender's Bagels[33] Arnold Voketaitis � former opera singer and teacher (bass-baritone) William C. Weldon � CEO of Johnson & Johnson Turk Wendell � Former Major League Baseball Player Eric Hartzell � Goalie for the Pittsburgh Penguins Mike Germano - CDO of VICE Media/CEO of Carrot Creative Jonathan Grado - Vice President of Marketing of Grado Labs Themis Klarides � Deputy Minority Leader of the Connecticut House of Representatives Bryce Van Brabant - Forward for the Calgary Flames Freddy Hall - Goalkeeper for Toronto FC

Campus

Campus

Suburban

X
X
X
X