Piedmont International University
Piedmont International University is a private Bible College and Graduate School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Originally called Piedmont Bible Institute (and later Piedmont Bible College and Piedmont Baptist College), the school changed its name in 2012 to its current name to reflect its heritage and expansion. The school is located near downtown Winston-Salem between the historic district of Old Salem and the newly constructed semi-pro baseball stadium. Its current President is Dr. Charles Petitt, a former church planter and missionary to St. Vincent.
In early 1945, Charles Stevens gathered a group of Baptist leaders from across North Carolina at the Evangel Light House in Winston-Salem to discuss the possibility of starting a Baptist educational institution. The following is told of the meeting: ï¿½After some discussion one of the brethren, a prominent Baptist leader in North Carolina, rose and made this remark, ï¿½We already have seven Baptist schools in North Carolina. It is my opinion that we do not need another school.ï¿½ To this Dr. Stevens replied, ï¿½I agree that we do not need just another Baptist school. We need a school that can be distinctive, committed to perform a definite task.ï¿½ï¿½ That is exactly what happened. In 1945, Piedmont Bible Schools, Inc. was founded. In September of that year, Piedmont Bible Institute opened on a restricted basis. All of the classes were taught ï¿½on Monday afternoon and evening and all day Tuesday. Twenty-two students attended that first year, with four part-time faculty members. The next fall, the fall of 1946, found the school ï¿½in full swing,ï¿½ with six faculty members, of which only N.A. Thompson was full-time. In its charter, the institution has the capacity to serve as three schools - an academy, Bible institute, and Bible college. From 1945 until 1948 Piedmont Bible Schools consisted of only an academy and a Bible Institute. Also, during this time, satellite classrooms were set. In 1948, two years of junior college were added. From then until 1952 the corporation consisted of the academy, the Bible institute, and the junior college. The academy was discontinued in 1952. The Bible institute and the college continue today, although in slightly different forms. Six years after the closing of the academy it was said, ï¿½If and when the demand becomes great enough, the academy will be included again.ï¿½ However, with the existence of Salem Baptist Christian School (a Christian primary and secondary school across the street) it is doubtful that this will ever be done. After its incorporation, Piedmont Bible Schools found a host of problems waiting for it. What is to be done about classrooms? What is to be done about housing? A myriad of questions must have been in the minds of those early men and women of Piedmont. The first answer to many questions and prayers came in the form of what is today called Deeds Hall. John M. Deeds, for which the building was named, is described as ï¿½a fine Christian and business man, with unusual abilities and leadership, . . . [who has] felt called upon to devote his full time, without salary, to the cause of raising money for the schoolï¿½ (Daybreak, Oct. 1951) This new facility provided initial classroom space, dormitory space for around twenty-five ladies, room for a small cafeteria, a library and offices. The Brietz house was purchased in 1948 and provided dormitory room for 12 or more single men. Trailers also played a major role as ï¿½dorm roomsï¿½ for the married couples in the early years. Many of the trailer units were old, surplus military trailers. The trailers were known, because of the great percentage of World War II veterans, as ï¿½Veteransï¿½ Village." In 1954 the married students were able to move out of the trailers and into the new Stevens Hall. Built beside Deeds Hall, this - and especially the construction of Griffith Hall, a menï¿½s dormitory, in 1966 - brought an end to the trailer era and made room available for a much-needed parking lot. After Griffith Hall was built, the old Breitz home was torn down. Griffith Hall was named for Earle G. Griffith. Dr. Griffith became affiliated with Piedmont on January 15, 1950 when he took the office of vice-president. He was formerly the president of the Ohio Association of Independent Baptist Churches. For a time, he was also part of the Council of Fourteen which carried out the plans of the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches. He served as president of Baptist Bible Seminary in Johnson City, New York, as well as vice-president of the National Bible Institute of New York City. He was also very active in the area of foreign missions in addition to holding several pastorates. In 1956, Piedmont completed the accreditation requirements of the Accrediting Association of Bible Institutes and Bible Colleges (now The Association for Biblical Higher Education). Their acceptance allowed Religious Education and Theology bachelor's degrees to be awarded, starting in 1957, with the acceptance of the State Department of Education.
Piedmont International University is an established provider of quality, Bible-centered higher education for effective lifetime ministry. We are driven by our love for students and alumni and are committed to their success. We serve churches by equipping leaders to obey the Great Commandment and fulfill the Great Commission.