RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Penn State University Abington

Penn State Abington is a commonwealth campus of the Pennsylvania State University. It is located approximately 15 miles north of Center City Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States in the Abington section of Abington Township.

Tag

Location

Address
1600 Woodland Rd
City
Abington
State
PA
Zip/Post Code
19001

Contact Information

Phone
Fax
Financial Aid Website

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
3690
In State Tuition Fees
12474
Out State Tuition Fees
19030
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.08
Male Female Ratio
47:53
Acceptance Rate
78%
Student Faculty Ratio
21:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
No
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Nittany Lion
Colors
Navy Blue And White
Conference
North Eastern

College History

History

The Penn State Abington campus was not originally a Penn State campus. The origins of the Abington campus begin with Jay Cooke, a banker who had financed the Union during the Civil War, and The Chestnut Street Female Seminary, a Philadelphia school for girls between the ages of 12 through 18 that opened in 1850. With increasing enrollment, The Chestnut Street Female Seminary needed to find a campus that could accommodate the larger student body. Jay Cooke In 1863, Cooke had constructed a lavish mansion in Cheltenham Township, Pennsylvania which he named Ogontz, in honor of a Sandusky Indian Chief from Ohio named Ogontz. Cooke had spent much time with Chief Ogontz during his childhood, and admired Ogontz greatly. In 1883, Cooke suffered financial hardship and needed a way to pay off his debts. Jay Cooke persuaded The Chestnut Street Female Seminary of Philadelphia to lease his mansion Ogontz. The Chestnut Street Female Seminary was renamed The Ogontz School for Girls after the 1883 move to Cooke's mansion and estate. Students make their way in and out of the Lares Building at Penn State Abington, during Common Break on April 22, 2003. Abby Sutherland In 1902, Radcliffe College graduate Abby Sutherland arrived at the school to take a job as an English teacher. This would begin a long association with The Ogontz School for Girls for Abby Sutherland. Eventually, Sutherland would go on to become headmistress, president, and owner of the school. In 1912, Headmistress Abby Sutherland bought The Ogontz School for Girls. In 1916 the school's new owner Abby Sutherland began looking for a larger location for The Ogontz School for Girls. She sold the school's property in Cheltenham Township, and bought 54 acres (220,000 m2) of land in what Sutherland called the "beautiful park section in the hills of Rydal", and moved the school to Abington. At the time of the move, only the main building, known today as the Sutherland Building, had been completed. Soon after the move, the Rydal School, known today as the Rydal Building, was added to accommodate additional elementary grades. It was at this time that The Ogontz School for Girls most famous student, Amelia Earhart, attended the school. Earhart never graduated however, leaving after two years at the school to enlist as a nurse's aide at Spadina Military Hospital in Toronto, Canada. Penn State Abington's campus is largely wooded, as shown in this picture of students relaxing during "Spring Fling," an annual campus-sponsored event. This image was included in a slideshow prepared for the school's annual Leadership Banquet . In 1932, Ogontz was chartered as a junior college. From 1932 until the school's closing, a girl could now attend kindergarten through junior college at The Ogontz School for Girls. Penn State Ogontz As years passed and attitudes changed, the need for the school became in doubt. In 1950 school owner Abby Sutherland gave the property and all facilities to the Pennsylvania State University, including a painting by Thomas Moran, an artist to whom Jay Cooke had advanced money in 1873. That painting is still on display today at Penn State Abington. At the presentation ceremony to Penn State, Sutherland remarked, "Guard here the spirit of the best in your dreams of education." Sutherland continued to live on the grounds of The Penn State Ogontz Campus until her death in 1961. The Abby A. Sutherland Scholarship is given to deserving students each year in her honor. In 1995, Penn State Ogontz was renamed Abington-Ogontz to emphasize its relationship with the surrounding community. On July 1, 1997, the Penn State Ogontz campus became a Penn State college that may grant baccalaureate degrees, and was renamed Penn State Abington. The Ogontz name lives on in the Chief Ogontz Award given by the Student Government Association to a faculty or staff member in recognition of outstanding contributions to student life.

College Specialty

Specialty

Penn State Abington, a distinguished baccalaureate campus college within a world-class, land-grant research university, creates transformative educational experiences that empower students to forge their own success as productive, responsible, and discerning citizens of a global society. In a multicultural and student-centered setting, the Abington College provides multiple educational options for degree choice, campus location, learning strategies, disciplinary and interdisciplinary studies, experiential and public scholarship, leadership, and civic commitment, culminating in the integration of academic learning with life experiences.

Alumni

Alumni

The Penn State Alumni Association is the largest dues-paying organization in the world. Be a part of this today and Join/Renew. Why Join? Be a part of the largest alumni association. Incredible discounts Network with more than 550,000 Penn Staters worldwide. Associate with an organization that is the home of the largest student-run Philanthropy in the world, THON! Stay connected and make a difference. If you join as a Lifetime Member - Abington Alumni Society will earn $50 from your membership! To qualify for the $50 contribution, please be sure to insert the 3 letter Penn State group ID code AEE.

Campus

Campus

Suburban

X
X
X
X