Pacific University is a private university located in Oregon, United States. The first campus began more than 160 years ago and is located about 38 km (23 mi) west of Portland in Forest Grove. Pacific University has four campuses within Oregon in the cities of Forest Grove, Eugene, Hillsboro and Woodburn.
Tabitha Brown, a pioneer emigrant from Massachusetts, immigrated to the Oregon Country over the new Applegate Trail in 1846. After arriving in Oregon she helped to start an orphanage and school along with Rev. Harvey L. Clark in Forest Grove in 1847 to care for the orphans of Applegate Trail party. In March 1848, Tualatin Academy was established from the orphanage with Clark donating 200 acres (80.9 ha) to the school.George H. Atkinson had advocated the founding of the school and with support of the Presbyterians and Congregationalists helped to start the academy. Eliza Hart Spalding, part of the Whitman Mission, was its first teacher. Sidney Marsh The academy was officially chartered by the territorial legislature on September 29, 1849. The reverend Clark served as the first president of the board of trustees and later donated an additional 150 acres (60.7 ha) to the institution. In 1851, what is now Old College Hall was built and in 1853 Sidney H. Marsh became the school's first president. The current campus was deeded in 1851. In 1854, the institution became Pacific University. The first commencement occurred in 1863 with Harvey W. Scott as the only graduate. In 1872, three Japanese students started at the university as part of that country's modernization movement, with all three graduating in 1876.These students were Hatstara Tamura, Kin Saito, and Yei Nosea. President Marsh died in 1879 and was replaced by John R. Herrick. In the late 1890s an alumnus gave Pacific a Chinese statuette. The statuette was purchased from a Chinese family who used it as a sort of coat of arms. It appears to be a mix of a several different mythical creatures although it is often simply called a "dragon dog" and serves as the foundation for the university's mascot, the Boxer. Marsh Hall was built in 1895 and named for Pacific's first president, serving as the central building on Pacific's campus. Carnegie Library (now Carnegie Hall) opened in 1912 after Andrew Carnegie's foundation helped finance the brick structure. The library was designed by Portland architecture firm Whidden and Lewis. In 1915, the preparatory department, Tualatin Academy, closed due to the proliferation of public high schools in the state. By 1920, the school had grown to a total of five buildings on 30 acres (12.1 ha) and had an endowment of approximately $250,000. Marsh Hall was gutted by fire in 1975, but its shell was preserved, and the structure reopened in 1977. Dr. Phillip D. Creighton became Pacific's sixteenth president in August 2003 and retired in June 2009. Tommy Thayer, lead guitarist of the band KISS was elected to the university's board of trustees in 2005. Pacific's seventeenth president, Dr. Lesley M. Hallick, was named on May 19, 2009.
The Pacific EyeClinics serve as state-of-the-art facilities for students to fulfill the vision and eye care needs of the public through instruction, by embracing the full scope of contemporary optometric and visual science, clinical experience, and research. The Pacific EyeClinic staff assists in this educational process by professionally and compassionately coordinating the provision of vision care services by optometric students for all patients.
Les AuCoin (graduated 1969) ï¿½ was Oregonï¿½s U.S. Representative from the First Congressional District from 1975 to 1992 William A. Barton (graduated 1969) ï¿½ noted Oregon personal injury attorney and author Rick Dancer Daniel Gault (attended Tualatin Academy) ï¿½ educator, newspaperman, and state legislator Alfred Carlton Gilbert (graduated in 1902 from the Tualatin Academy) ï¿½ Olympian and inventor of the Erector Set Lynn Hellerstein - optometrist, speaker and author best known for her work in the field of vision therapy William A. Hilliard (graduated 1952) ï¿½ editor of The Oregonian Augustus C. Kinney, longtime physician in Astoria, Oregon, and noted expert on tuberculosis at the turn of the 20th century Olaus Murie (graduated 1912) ï¿½ conservationist and mammalogist Harvey W. Scott (graduated 1863) ï¿½ the first graduate of Pacific, editor of The Oregonian Thomas H. Tongue (graduated 1868) ï¿½ U.S. Representative for Oregon's First Congressional District Calvin Leroy Van Pelt (graduated 1949) - World War II veteran Nancy Wilson (non-degree, 1976) ï¿½ lead guitarist and vocalist in the classic rock group ï¿½Heartï¿½