Orange County Community College
SUNY Orange, or Orange County Community College, is a unit of the State University of New York (SUNY) offering two-year associates degrees and certificates. The college has two campuses in Middletown, New York and in Newburgh, New York. The college also offers additional courses at Warwick, Port Jervis, and Central Valley. The college is one of the top ten two-year nursing colleges in the SUNY system.
In 1945 Orange County did not have a college and, except for West Point, there was no college from New York City to Schenectady, New York, west of the Hudson River. The research for a permanent college did not begin until 1948 and a site needed to be chosen for the college. The site finally chosen was the Webb Horton House and property, the 'mansion' at the Middletown campus. The mansion was built by Webb Horton and was left to his cousin, John H. Morrison, upon his death. Mr. Morrison's wife, Mrs. Christine Morrison, lived alone after the death of her husband in 1946. In 1950, she donated the mansion and property to become the home of Orange County Community College. The College was founded in 1950, opening its doors to 160 students and making it the first county-sponsored community college in the SUNY system. It was also the first community college in the nation to offer a two-year nursing degree program. When it opened, the College consisted of just two buildings, Morrison Hall and Horton Hall, on 14 acres. Today, it has 12 buildings at the Middletown campus, and two buildings at the Newburgh campus.
Orange County Community College is committed to promoting equal access to education for students with disabilities in an environment that respects and values their differences and encourages self-advocacy and self-determination.
Suburban 37 acres (0.15 km2)