RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Ohio State Newark

The Ohio State University at Newark campus in Licking County, Ohio is a coeducational public university founded in 1957 as the first OSU regional campus. During its early years, classes were held at old Newark High School. In 1966, over one million dollars pledged by 7,000 local citizens to match funds from the state legislature supported the cost of buying 155 acres (0.63 km2) of land and constructing the first building, Founders Hall, which opened in 1968.

Tag

Location

Address
1179 University Dr
City
Newark
State
OH
Zip/Post Code
43055

Contact Information

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
2263
Total Graduate enrollment
89
In State Tuition Fees
7140
Out State Tuition Fees
22860
ACT Score
22
SAT Score
1497
Male Female Ratio
49:51
Acceptance Rate
99%
Student Faculty Ratio
25:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mission Statement
NULL
Mascot
Titans
Colors
Scarlet And Gray
Conference
Ohio Regional Campus Conf

College History

History

Since Founders Hall opened, it has become home to classrooms, general administrative and faculty offices, labs and the library. Hopewell Hall, opened in 1976, and includes labs, a student lounge area, classrooms, faculty offices, the cafeteria, the bookstore, financial aid and fees and deposits. Adena Hall was completed in 1978 and contains the gymnasium and workout facilities, classrooms, laboratories and faculty offices. In autumn 1986, the student apartment complex opened and in 1988 the Child Development Center was built. LeFevre Hall, opened in 1993, and is home to technical education, performing arts and faculty offices. The Reese Center, one of the most state-of-the-art facilities in the country, opened in October 2004 and contains classrooms, a 600-seat auditorium, a ballroom and conference center, the Cyber Caf�, faculty offices, labs and the executive board room. Currently, the Ohio State Newark is the largest of the OSU regional campuses with 50 distinguished faculty members and a student body of 2,100.[2] Since 1971, the Ohio State Newark campus has partnered with Central Ohio Technical College (COTC) to share higher education complex and to help meet the state�s growing need for skilled technicians. The Newark Campus Library, now located in the Warner Center, is a cost-shared department serving the communities of Ohio State Newark and COTC. The Library houses about 50,000 print volumes, 375 serial subscriptions, over 36,000 microforms, 1000 audio tapes/CDs and video cassettes/DVDs, 1,200 maps. In addition, as part of the Ohio State University library system and the OhioLINK consortium, the Library provides access to over 9 million unique items, including 19,000 e-books and nearly 6,000 full-text electronic journals. The Martha Grace Amphitheatre was reopened in 1999 at Ohio State Newark. It was named after the mother of J. Gilbert Reese and the Gilbert Reese Family Foundation who donated the money to rededicate the amphitheatre and make it open to the public. Because it is opened to the public the Martha Grace Amphitheatre also holds weddings and other types of large events for people in the community. Students at Ohio State Newark are offered a place to relax and enjoy the scenery surrounding the amphitheatre, which includes a large pond with a bridge, as well as a very nice fountain at the entrance to the amphitheatre. It is located in the middle of the Newark campus next to Adena Hall, making it convenient for all students. Due to some of the free concerts the Newark Advocate has rated it one of the top 25 things to do in Licking County. Several bands play there every year from The Ohio State Marching Band to Grammy nominees Restless Heart and Styx.

College Specialty

Specialty

The Ohio State University at Newark provides access to the university by extending Ohio State courses, programs, research, and service to a many Ohio communities.

Campus

Campus

155 acres (Newark campus), 15,311 acres (61.96 km2)

X
X
X
X