RecruitLook

College Search

Report Abuse

Murray State University

Murray State University, located in the city of Murray, Kentucky, is a four-year public university with more than 10,900 students.

Location

Address
218 Wells Hall
City
Murray
State
KY

Stats

Total Undergrad enrollment
9144
Total Graduate enrollment
1689
In State Tuition Fees
6060
Out State Tuition Fees
18180
ACT Score
23
Grade Point Average(GPA)
3.39
Male Female Ratio
44:56
Acceptance Rate
79%
Student Faculty Ratio
16:01

Additional Information

College Type
Public
Religious Affiliation
N/A
Campus Housing
Yes
Mascot
Racers, Dunker
Colors
Navy Blue Gold
Conference
Ohio Valley

College History

History

The history of Murray State University can be traced to the passage of Senate Bill 14 by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, which created two normal schools to address the growing demand for professional teachers. One would be in the western part of the state, which caused many cities and towns to bid for the new normal school. Rainey T. Wells spoke on behalf of the city of Murray to convince the Normal School Commission to choose his city. On September 2, 1922, Murray was chosen as the site of the western normal school, while Morehead was chosen for the eastern normal school. On November 26, 1922, John Wesley Carr was elected the first president of the Murray State Normal School by the State Board of Education. Believing it had the authority to elect the president, the Normal School Commission picked Rainey Wells to be the first president. On May 15, 1923, The Kentucky Court of Appeals ruled for the State Board of Education, and Carr would become Murray's first president. Murray State Normal School opened on September 23, 1923. Until the first building was completed, now Wrather West Kentucky Museum, classes were held on the first floor of Murray High School. All students commuted until the first dormitory, Wells Hall, was constructed in 1925. Wilson Hall was also completed under Carr's presidency, with other structures were in progress. In 1926, Rainey T. Wells, recognized as the founder of Murray State, became its second president. Wells served from 1926 to 1932, and during this time Lovett Auditorium, Carr Health Building and Pogue library were all completed. In 1926, the Normal School was renamed Murray State Normal School and Teachers College, and the General Assembly granted it authority to confer baccalaureate degrees. In 1928, the college was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1930, the name was changed to Murray State Teachers College and it was granted authority to offer liberal arts and preprofessional courses. The name was changed again in 1948 to Murray State College, and finally in 1966 the General Assembly authorized the Board of Regents to change the name to Murray State University.

College Specialty

Specialty

The mission of the College of Health Sciences and Human Services is to prepare students for careers in the areas of allied-health and human service. The faculty foster learning through student-centered activities including service learning projects, internships, and clinical experiences that are responsive to the needs of an evolving and diverse society. Each program develops graduates who exhibit interpersonal and critical thinking skills, cultural sensitivity, and the professional knowledge, skills and dispositions required to contribute to their chosen profession.

Alumni

Alumni

Jilon VanOver (BS '01), actor, best known for playing the role of Ransom Bray on Hatfields & McCoys W. Earl Brown (BS '86), actor Jude Deveraux, romance novelist Mike Long (BS Physics), speech writer and author Hal Riddle (BS '42), actor Joe Staton (BS '70), comic book artist Chrishell Stause (BA '03) actress, best known for playing the role Amanda Dillon on All My Children Chris Thile, musician from the band Nickel Creek Jim Varney, comedian, actor, best known for playing Ernest P. Worrell in numerous films and television roles J.D. Wilkes (BA '96), musician, visual artist, filmmaker

Campus

Campus

258.43 acres (main campus)

X
X
X
X