Mohawk Valley Community College
Mohawk Valley Community College is a two-year college of the State University of New York located in Oneida County, New York in the United States. The college has campuses in Rome and Utica.
Mohawk Valley Community College is a two-year college of the State University of New York located in Oneida County, New York in the United States. The college has campuses in Rome and Utica. Mohawk Valley Community College offers degrees and certificates in more than 90 areas and reported in the Spring 2011 semester that it currently had about 7,200 full- or part-time students. Mohawk Valley Community College was the first community college established in New York State. Founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences at Utica, it was one of five post-secondary institutions established on an experimental basis after World War II. The two-year public college offered programs leading to technical and semiprofessional employment in business and industry. In 1948, the State University of New York was created and authorized to recommend the establishment of community colleges. The College became a constituent unit of the State University in 1950. The following year, the College was authorized to grant the Associate in Applied Science degree. In 1953, the County of Oneida assumed the sponsorship of the College, then known as Mohawk Valley Technical Institute, under the "Community College Law" section of the 1948 Education Law. This section authorized the cost of operating a community college to be shared equally through student tuition, state aid and charges to the counties of New York State. The following year, the college began offering classes in Rome, New York, to better serve the needs of northern and western Oneida County. Classes were offered at the former Griffiss Air Force Base from 1954 to 1958 and again from 1969 to 1974. In 1974, a branch campus was established in Rome at the current location on Floyd Avenue. As a community college, MVTI saw its enrollment and facilities grow. From 1946 to 1960, the College occupied temporary quarters in New Hartford and downtown Utica. In 1960, the College moved to new buildings on an 80-acre (320,000 m2) site in southeast Utica. In 1963, the college change its name to Mohawk Valley Community College. In August 2004, MVCC was given the Pepsi/NATYCAA Award. This award recognized that MVCC was the most successful, non-scholarship athletic program for a two-year college in the nation (2003-2004.) As of Spring 2011, the MVCC "Hawks" had an overall winning record of more than 70 percent in 22 different collegiate sports
Mohawk Valley Community College promotes student success and community involvement through a commitment to excellence and a spirit of service
Suburban 90 acres (0.36 km2)