Mississippi College is a Christian university located in Clinton, Mississippi just west of the capital city of Jackson. Founded in 1826, MC is the second-oldest Baptist-affiliated college in the United States and the oldest college in Mississippi
On January 24, 1826, the college received its first charter, signed by Mississippi Gov. David Holmes. In 1827 the name was changed from Hampstead Academy to Mississippi Academy at the request of the Board of Trustees. On December 18, 1830, having become a college, the name was changed to Mississippi College. It offered degrees in arts, sciences and languages. As a private institution in 1831, Mississippi College became the first coeducational college in the United States to grant a degree to a woman. That year it granted degrees to two women, Alice Robinson and Catherine Hall. In the beginning Mississippi College was not church-related. For a number of years, it was affiliated with the Methodist and Presbyterian churches. Since 1850, Mississippi College has been affiliated with the Mississippi Baptist Convention and the Board of Trustees oversees the institution. The Civil War was a turbulent time for Mississippi College: its endowment was destroyed, its student body disbanded and its buildings deteriorated. Many students joined with faculty, a school trustee and townspeople to form the Mississippi College Rifles during the war years or signed up with other units. In the half-century after the war the college slowly recovered. The endowment fund was renewed and the physical structures were renovated.From 1911 through 1932 the college prospered, seeing the completion of the Provine Science Building as well as Lowrey Hall, Alumni Hall and Farr-Hall Hospital, among others. The college endowment grew to $500,000 and in 1922, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools approved accreditation for the college. Enrollment reached 400 students.In 1942, Mississippi College purchased and absorbed all-female Hillman College. A new Nelson Hall administration building was erected in 1948, and new residence halls were built.In 1943, MC was among 131 colleges and universities nationwide taking part in the V-12 Navy College Training Program which offered students a path to a Navy Commission. During the V-12 period, the Navy had exclusive use of Chrestman, Alumni Hall and the cafeteria. The last surge of construction during this era was a building for a growing fine arts program and a library. The war years saw enrollment in the 550-600 range. With veterans returning from World War II, enrollment increased. There were 1,000 students by 1950 and there were 1,581 students by Fall 1956.From 1957 through 1968 the college built the B.C. Rogers Student Center, Hederman Science Building, Self Hall and a pair of residence halls. Provine Chapel was restored. The School of Nursing began in 1969. With the coming of the School of Law in 1975, when MC purchased the former Jackson School of Law, the college took another step toward a university structure. In 1975, the division of business became the School of Business. In 1977 the division of education became the School of Education. In 1982, twelve remaining departments were grouped into the College of Arts and Sciences.In May 1992 MC absorbed Clarke College after the smaller school was forced to close due to declining enrollments. Throughout the 1990s the college renovated and expanded: work was carried out on the library, electronic media center, Cockroft Hall (for the School of Nursing), A.E. Wood Coliseum, the Law School building in downtown Jackson, the New Men's Residence Hall, the New Women's Residence Hall, Jennings Hall and Latimer House (a Victorian house later used for alumni receptions).
Mississippi College, governed by a Board of Trustees elected by the Mississippi Baptist Convention, is a private, co-educational, comprehensive university of liberal arts and sciences and professional studies dedicated to the pursuit of academic excellence. Founded in 1826, Mississippi College is the oldest institution of higher learning and the largest private university in the state of Mississippi. As a Christian institution, Mississippi College values the integration of faith and learning throughout the educational process. Consistent with its Baptist heritage and relationship to the Convention, Mississippi College provides a quality Christian education for its student population. Students select the university because of the quality of its academic programs, Christian environment, and location. The university strives to recruit students who demonstrate excellence in scholarship, leadership, and church/community involvement. The majority of students come from Mississippi and other southeastern states. Mississippi College stimulates the intellectual development of its students through the liberal arts and sciences and concentrated study in specialized fields, including preprofessional and professional programs. Furthermore, the university environment promotes the spiritual, social, emotional, and physical development of its students and encourages them to utilize their skills, talents, and abilities as they pursue meaningful careers, life-long learning, and service to God and others. The university emphasizes those undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs which offer opportunities for service. Additionally, the university reflects its responsibility of service to the community through a variety of learning opportunities and numerous cultural enrichment experiences. Mississippi College is committed to excellence and innovation in teaching and learning. The university seeks to employ and retain faculty who are dedicated to teaching/learning and advising students, who support and engage in scholarship and creative activities that advance knowledge, and who seek to continue their own professional development. The university also seeks to employ and retain staff and administrators who are equally dedicated to supporting these efforts. Furthermore, the university selects employees who reflect Christian values and a commitment to service. Mississippi College is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with Title VII and applicable exemptions.
Lance Barksdale, Major League Baseball umpire Phil Bryant, Governor of Mississippi Michael Catt Christian movie producer and pastor Ted DiBiase, Jr., professional wrestler for the WWE W. C. Friley, president of Hardin-Simmons University from 1892 to 1894 and Louisiana College from 1909 to 1910 J. Andrew Gipson, Mississippi House of Representatives member and attorney Edgar Godbold, president of Howard Payne University from 1923 to 1929 and Louisiana College from 1942 to 1951 Gregg Harper, U.S. Congressman from Mississippi Fred McAfee, former New Orleans Saints football star, later the teamï¿½s director of player personnel Larry Myricks, U.S. Olympic track star Dayn Perry, Baseball writer, author and poet Anita Renfroe, Christian humorist
Suburban 320 acre (3 kmï¿½)